Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator hose question
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
When I got my car (about three years ago) I bought some spares, including a set of radiator hoses on the assumption that they would be hard to find when on the road.

Having work done that involved removing the radiator. When they went to replace the hoses, the two short one supplied to me were roughly four inches long--which was 2 inches too short.

The parts guy flipped.

Anyone know what they should be or why mine migh be different?

Posted on: 2012/8/16 14:51
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator hose question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On my 56 the hose (upper) between water pump and trans cooler is 4". The lower hose between the cooler and radiator is 5 3/4". Both have been cut to fit from straight sections so not exactly factory. Perhaps they sent you two of the upper hoses by accident.

Another possibility is they are for a 51-4 which has the cooler on the opposite side of engine. No idea of size there but maybe the same length is needed on both ends.

No specs given on any of them other than long and short or in and out.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 15:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator hose question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've only ever known the two cooler hoses for the V8s to be straight sections, but must admit that they've all been previously replaced on every one I've worked on.

Decades ago, I ordered them from SIA of St. Louis under OE P/Ns and received straight sections - same material as used for the upper. My notes show measurements of 3-1/2" for upper (to water pump) and 5" for lower (to radiator), but don't recall the source (or validity of those dimensions).

Today, I would just by a foot of 1-3/4" ID straight hose from any good local parts store, trim to fit on-site, and throw the leftover piece (together with a spare upper) in the spare parts box in the trunk. Unfortunately, the good old plain, straight radiator hose seems to be impossible to find, locally; all I can come up with is the H-D stuff with the wrapped look, which is a bit hard to work with in-car, in such close quarters.

Once heard rumor of an aftermarket 90-degree formed (upper) hose with sufficient excess that could be trimmed off for use as the lower cooler hoses, but never confirmed it.

Meanwhile, wondering why two different P/Ns listed in the parts book (Gr 11.0122), 55 vs. 56, for the formed upper hose. IIRC, only one listed in the aftermarket - fits both years.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 18:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved