Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

Ken_P, Bob Supina, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Classic Car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know there was a mention of Hemmings Classic Car recently with some not being too impressed with the magazine.

For those that might be inclined to pick one up anyway, this months issue has a very nice 55 Clipper article, some proposals and exercises out of the styling studio for 57's (IMO, a couple thankfully not to see the light of day), and to top it off, a very nice spread on one of my favorite styled cars -- A Chrysler Turbine car.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 19:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Classic Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...one of my favorite styled cars -- A Chrysler Turbine car.

Howard, the show starts after a minute. Make sure to turn the speakers on.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z1U_SSXkges?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2012/8/18 21:10
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. The first one I saw was in San Francisco. I was waiting for a streetcar and one came by just starting up a long grade. It whooshed by with that distinctive sound and disappeared a few seconds later.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 21:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I remember seeing them all over Detroit when I got out of high school. Literally I saw them for a year being driven around the west side. I know there were at least 4 I saw regularly.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 11:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know how many in SF but surely not many even came to Calif in the first place. I only saw it one or two times while living there.

Often wondered how they handled hills. SF would certainly have been a proving ground if that was a problem. Some of those hills scare the begeezus out of you and could almost give a 4 wheeling club a run. In the days before automatics, it's a wonder half the cars ever survived.

The car I saw was already on the move but I understand from a stop, things could get dicey for a few seconds until the turbine built up speed. Would have been interesting to see a start from a dead stop on one of those 45 degree slopes.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 13:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The following original promo video gives after 5 minutes an insight into the underlying technology and delivers after 9 minutes a dynamic walk around the Turbine Car.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Md_AfZdh8jw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posted on: 2012/8/19 14:00
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved