Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Script" Packard" on early 1920s radiators?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Hello
None of the period photographs of 1922-3 cars in the "photo archive" show the Packard Script on the front of the car's radiator yet almost every restored car has one. How can this be correct? All the cars shown in the archive are presumably new or near new when photographed.

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 20:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Script" Packard" on early 1920s radiators?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Bernie

My understanding is that the Packard script on the radiator was installed only on export cars. Presumably it was felt that "foreigners" needed help in identification of a car that was an icon in the US.

Since your'e from down under , this would explain your observation.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/9/2 22:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Thank you John
That seems to be the answer I am getting from several locations.
While I am in Melbourne Australia my car is Left hand drive and has never been on the road in Australia. It was apparently imported during the 1950s but never left the docks! Following a dispute with the Australian Customs Service it seems to have spent the next 50 years locked up in a Bond Store. No one, it appears, is willing to confirm or disprove this or offer an alternative explanation.

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2012/9/3 6:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Bernie:

You're absolutely right. And the early cars I dealt with were owned by Packard experts and had the script.

The export thing is easily verified for the 1st series and later cars during the twenties, but I cannot find a single export photo save the Czar's car. I found a shot of one of the Harvey cars with it.

I guess this is like chrome wire wheels, painted radiator shells, and black convertible tops. It's a harmless addition that looks chi chi similar to Chevy bowties, Ford ovals, and giant Mopar stickers. If it was my choice I'd throw it away.

Posted on: 2012/9/3 9:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved