Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

what is it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There aint no prize but a big thank-you for anyone reminding me what this part is. It was lying in the Caribbean trunk and I have seen it before, but cannot recollect where???

Attach file:

jpg  (10.88 KB)
23_483f9dba23396.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/5/30 1:25
 Top  Print   

Re: what is it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Look around thoroughly, in the trunk, under the spare tire, under the seats, you should find 7 more of them as they were used in sets of 8 and are quite rare. It is the short-lived lightweight connecting rod intended to increase horsepower by decreasing needless reciprocating weight in the engine. The strap was glued at the other end and wrapped around the crankshaft journal, and the wrist pin went thru the hole.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It's a good thing you could type that response. With your tongue so far in your cheek, you would have found it painful trying to speak.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 8:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen's response is hilarious!

Actually, with that clip at the end, it looks like a bolt-on support for a wiring harness. However, since I don't recall seeing anything like it in my V8s, all of which are closed cars, could it be some sort of support for the convertible top plumbing?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually Randy, I am curious. I've been through most of my Carib and haven't seen it. How about a little information, how long is it, what is it made from, is the loop flexible? How large is the hole?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
It certainly does look like a inside trunk wiring harness support as Brian mentioned. The clip portion looks very familiar to the clips around the trunk liner but I do not recall one in my Carib with the extended bracket. I will check this weekend to see if I can find anything similar.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Could it be a rear antenna cable clip used to keep the antenna cable up off the trunk floor? Just a guess.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It is not an antenna wiring clip as I know what they look like. This shape is familiar to me, but due to my advanced years the synapse that knows what it is just won't fire. I lean toward something on the frame for the T/L wiring primarily because of the large bolt hole. It is only about four inches long. Maybe I'll go up to the other garage and peer intently under "Best Other".
And now I'm being harassed on my home phone!

Posted on: 2008/5/30 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
I give up Randy. The trunk clips are squared off so that was a dead end. In all the work I have done from the firewall forward on my car I did not run across that piece either. When you do identify the part, I am now even more curious as to whether my car has or had one.

Regards,
Robert.

ps. the "rare light weight connecting rods" was killing me :)

Posted on: 2008/5/31 13:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes, brother Owen has a good sense of humor, which is required during times of stress. I have sent an inquiry to one of the few experts I know and I have faith he will come up with the answer.
I spent a good deal of time looking under "BODY" for the listing in the parts manual of the two pieces of sheet metal that go under the trunk lip. I finally located them under "BUMPER". Sometimes the parts book really confuses me.

Posted on: 2008/5/31 14:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved