Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

'52 200, ultramantic, runs rough at about 50mph or more
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello all:
been some time since i have checked in. but i always read the post to see what i can learn

about 2 wks. ago i had to take my packard in for my yearly safety check recqrd. in hawaii. on the way i decided to drive to fill up the tank at a station that sells alc free gasoline. the car ran fantastic. i was very excited. (btw i ad a little diesel fuel to the tank as per this site, but did not on this day) when i left the gas station on a 55mph Hwy the car got real rough at about 45mph . I babied the car but it was not doing well at all. I got home very slowly and let the car sit and tried to think about what to do and read stuff in the shop manuel. etc. after a bit i put 1/2 cup of diesel in the tank and was on my way. still the same problem except i could get up to maybe 50 or 55mph.
Today i took the car out and got her up to 55 with no problem . ok for about 20 miles then back to the same symptoms.
I have recently done a tune up , plugs all wirre. cap rotor etc. timing
1. does the carb need adjusting? it sounds good at idle.
2. Is the next step to check the fuel pump??
i would appreciate any advice.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 21:56
 Top  Print   

Re: '52 200, ultramantic, runs rough at about 50mph or more
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Probably a fuel problem since you have just done an ignition tune-up. It sounds to me like it is starving for fuel. Plugged up filter? Check the filter first, if you have one. If not, remove the bottom bowl from the fuel pump and see what is there. May have stirred up some dirt with the last fuel fill-up and that is what is causing the problem.

One more thing, is the gas cap vented?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/10 10:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the advice. i will try the fuel pump......
i have an aftermarket filter that i recently replaced. it was on the car when i bought it. it was instaled down low near the pump. i notice yesterday while reading on this site that an original looking filter was located up near the carb.....
thanks for your help

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
the gas cap...? i don't know, but i will check and research.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those original ceramic filters can get clogged or if the bowl has dried with gas in it, get varnished up. Symptoms are a lot like you describe.

New elements are available but not many places stock the small size Packard used. They were used on some farm equipment also so a farm supply store might have new if you have any stores like that over there. The old elements can be cleaned with a soak in acetone or carb cleaner and then compressed air blown thru backwards to force particles out.

If you do decide to clean it, make sure to have a new gasket available. Max and most likely the other vendors have them if needed if you can't find a store selling elements. The old gasket will probably leak if you try and reuse it. Tightening to try and stop a leak will most likely break the glass.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks HH56
the aftermarket filter on my car is the disposable type . someday i would like to get a more period correct. and when i check the fuel pump i will have a new gasket.
as always thanks for you help

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I may as well just get a new in line fuel filter at the parts store eeven though i replaced it maybe a year ago. i will add this to my to do list.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Tim:

Let's look at the symptom: Everything is fine until the car is fully warmed up.

Buy a KD spark tester from NAPA and take the car out on the road. When it acts up pull over and check the spark. You should have at least 20Kv. You may need to make a dark room or pull under a bridge for the test. Then pull a plug. If it is black it's ignition, if it's white it's fuel.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
Thanks Mr Cole, i will take your advice. I just read about this in another thread . i will check napa . i hope they stock it here on the island. thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Sometimes, things like this are like finding a needle in the proverbial haystack. To avoid frustration and that sense of overwhelm, what I do first is check the obvious, and in your case, that would be double checking the tune up (or other adjustments) you might have made...basically a re- do of the work. Start with the timing, if you installed points, that should have been re set, and make sure you put some synthetic grease on the distributor shaft. Tighten the wires, make sure the vacuum lines are in, etc.

Kanter makes a replacement glass bowl fuel filter with a paper element, get yourself one ($35), It's not worth the hassle to clean out the original and fit a new gasket, besides the paper element of a modern one is superior to the 60 year old porous one... just get to NAPA and have a couple of fittings available, the OEM ones are bronze so they'll likely split when you take them off.

Lastly, I'm not sure about diesel as an additive here..I know...'Reduces detonation and therefore knock', but it can't contribute to smoothness as diesel burns far dirtier (and therefore likely to plug) the spark plugs. Besides, the CR on your car isn't so high that you're in danger by using today's "Premium".

Lastly, check the trans fluid level...it's a long shot, but if she's low, you'd notice that as 'roughness' at higher speeds.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 12:20
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved