Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

todd landis, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'39 Model 110 brake drum max. inside diameter?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Beltfed
See User information
Have an on going problem with front brake fading. The drums don't have a maxmium inside diameter stamped on them like newer drums do. Wondering if the drums were turned out too far making them too thin for proper heat dissipation and causing the fading problem. Looked in all the reference material I have with no luck. Knowing all-to-well that we are driving at much higher speeds than "the old days", but my cars are "drivers" and I'm on a mission to show America what great & beautiful cars WE use to make. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 9:52
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Model 110 brake drum max. inside diameter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Another thing to check is the brake pedal free play. If there is none, then pressure will build-up in the system expanding the shoes against the drum. I have heard of brakes being locked up with this condition and even getting so hot as to start a fire. It is easily adjusted with the rod between the pedal and master cylinder. Adjustment should yield around one-half inch. This must be checked by hand. Check your shop/repair manual for the procedure and free play amount. Regards - John

Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your car predates the federal DOT's mandating car safety features to the extent they do today, hence no indications of maximum oversize. Any competent brake shop should be able to make a suggestion as to maximum, I'd think 0.030" on the radius (0.060 on the diameter) is probably a reasonable limit.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 14:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Beltfed
See User information
As I have no idea what the maxmium diameter, I also have no idea what the diameter of a new brake drum was or is. I've been messing with this problem for several years and believe that all the brake adjustments are correct. I even with to the troule of having a special set of correct material shoes made to ensure I didn't have a problem with the shoe pads. Most of the time I feel comfortable driving in today's traffic. Other times like last year when we toured the mountains of West Virginia, I "puckered" up more of the seat upholstery than I cared for.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
Hey Beltfed, It sounds like your brakes are fine. Brake fade has been around on cars with drums for as long as cars
have had brakes.
Modfie your driving habits in the moutains by down sifting to second or even first and save your brakes for when you really need them. Happy Driving
Greg

Posted on: 2008/6/1 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recall that in the day of exclusive drum brake use it was common practice to get replacement brake shoes with oversize (thicker) lining. The drums would be turned, and then the inside diameter measured. This measurement would be transferred to the linings on the shoes, via a special gauge, and the linings would be sized to reflect the drum diameter. Also, particular attention was paid to the lining material on the primary (front) and secondary (rear) shoes. The primary and secondary lining materials were different. This involved special tools and knowledge that are probably in the waste bin of brake shop practice now. Keep in mind the special brake adjustment procedure on Packards. I always thought the brakes on these cars were more than adequate for the job, and feel completely comfortable driving my 115C in traffic or on the road. Good luck, John

Posted on: 2008/6/2 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can remember my Dad complaining about brake fade in our 58 Plymouth wagon when crossing the Rockies, and I've experienced it a few times in the Caribbean as I suspect most folks have driving cars of this vintage in challenging situations. If only it (the Caribbean) had brakes as good as my 1934 Eight; though mechanical but with 4 positions of variable vacuum boost, they are far better brakes (14 inch drums) and have never displayed any fade. Current linings on that car are molded, though the originals might have been woven. And primary and secondary shoes are different Raybestos numbers. Granted the Caribbean is about 400 lbs heavier.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 11:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Beltfed
See User information
I have the special tool for measuring the shoes vs. drum. It can be purchased from NAPA for a few bucks. I Did Not know that the primary and secondary shoes were constructed from different material. Have no idea how to figure that out. Going to Atlanta middle of June for car show. Wish me luck and thanks for the information.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Generally, the primary (front) linings are shorter than the secondary (rear) ones, but not always. Sometimes the primary and secondary lining materials have different colors, but always. Regards - John

Posted on: 2008/6/3 9:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved