Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 199

Dbedsole, 37Blanche, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seeking Info on Vincent D Kaptur - Packard body development 1919-1928
Just popping in
Just popping in

allcars
See User information
I am writing a biography of former Packard employee Vincent D. Kaptur (Sr) for a collector magazine.

The late Mr. Kaptur worked at Packard from 1919 to 1928, in roles variously described as a body engineer, body designer and, by 1928, chief body designer. He may have also briefly worked at Packard between 1916 and mid-1917, as a "mechanical draftsman." He was a proficient illustrator and some of his drawings may have appeared in company literature.

His descendants say he recalled working under Col. Vincent and that he became acquainted with Gordon Buehrig and Werner Gubitz while at Packard.

Mr. Kaptur is best known for pioneering General Motors' body sharing program in the early 1930s. He joined the GM Art & Colour Section in November 1928 and was instrumental in developing GM production body designs until his retirement in 1956.

I'm wondering if any reader has noted surviving Packard documents that mention Mr. Kaptur? He might be named in a memo, company phone book, or other document issued during the period he was at Packard. Such listings could could help us verify his titles and construct a time-line of his responsibilities while he was at Packard.

Any information or leads will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 13:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Seeking Info on Vincent D Kaptur - Packard body development 1919-1928
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I went on Ancestry.com and looked for records for Mr. Kaptur hoping to find a Family tree to get a contact name for a son, daughter, or grandchild. There were no Family Trees that were posted. However, there is a 2002 phone book listing for "Vincent D Kaptur". This may be a son or grandson. The address is 5882 Blandford Rd., Broomfield Hills, Michigan, 48302-4027. Phone (area code have changed) of 248-644-2669.

I would call and or write. If he is a relative, he may have information or family stories to tell.

Good Luck

Edit added:

Go tohttp://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=38633722 someone out there cares & knows of him. Click on hyperlink for Joseph F. Martin who posted the page

Posted on: 2012/9/13 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Michael Lamm in his book, co-authored with Dave Holls, A Century of Style: 100 Years of American Car Design notes Kaptur's many contributions. You may want to contact him for biographical information he may have gleaned during his research.

Steve

Posted on: 2012/9/15 7:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

allcars
See User information
Thank you for the responses. I have now obtained a transcript of a 1980 Michael Lamm interview with Mr. Kaptur, in which his Packard experience is discussed.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 8:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved