Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 174

moodydavid16, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What is my engine size?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I have recently acquired a 1955 clipper constellation. I know that it should have a 352. The block / head is green - so Packard, but I don't know which size is actually in it. I would like to find the engine numbers, but any positive indication of the size would be good for now. Randomly looking through 50 years of grime has not proved successful.

thanks!

Posted on: 2012/9/14 8:10
 Top  Print   

Re: What is my engine size?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are the engine number locations. Easiest to quickly check and indicate size is the casting number at rear bellhousing area. The others tell what car the engine was originally installed in so would also tell the size.

NOTE: Believe there may be an error on the casting number listed for the 320. Can anyone with a 320 confirm this?

Attach file:

jpg  (50.25 KB)
209_505338399e2d2.jpg 1280X310 px

Posted on: 2012/9/14 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, my 55 Super Clipper with the 320 V-8 is sitting in the garage right now. What should I look for? What error?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/14 10:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure you can easily see it in the car. On the right hand picture, the casting number on top of the bellhousing for the 320 is given as 446521. I think I remember a post saying that number might be wrong. If so, would like to know the correct number.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 10:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I'll see what I can see.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/14 10:49
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
found it! 5567-4437, same as the body tag. OK, I don't know for SURE that it is a 352, but who would special order a lower engine, with factory air?

Posted on: 2012/9/14 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That is your model/engine number, but it is not the casting number which is located at the rear of the engine. The number can be seen but you have to get your head (or camera) in position behind the distributor to see down at the number. It is located just forward of where the trans bolts to the engine.
That casting number is different for the three different blocks. The internal difference in the blocks is probably the different cores. The external number allows id to be made easily as to which block it is.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 22:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, I did locate two sets of numbers cast into the top of the bell housing on my 1955 Clipper Super with the 320 cu. in. V-8. They are: 3 25 55 (which I take to be the casting date; and 446527 (which is the number you think may be questionable). I tried to find the other number on the rear of the RH bank, but no luck. I used a neat little tool my son gave me a couple of years ago, a wireless inspection camera (photo below).

Attach file:

jpg  (39.33 KB)
565_5054bdc12dfbe.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/9/15 12:41
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks much for confirming the error. Looks like after all these years I still can't read my own writing and typed a 1 instead of a 7 on the photo.

I just bought one of those camera gadgets to look at some of my projects up close. Mine is a General Tools model but haven't used it yet to see if it works as well as the pictures would lead you to believe.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 12:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Look at Service Counselor 29 #5, dated May 1955, and Service Technical bulletin 55T-33, dealer 24, dated July 14, 1955.

Both of these are on this site.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 13:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved