Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

new to packards and have a lot of questions please help
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

AL HIZER
See User information
hello my name is al i own a salvage yard i build wrecks and harleys in my down time. i have been around cars for a long time but never a packard. i want to build a clean all original car i have just picked up a 1955 2 door hard top clipper (5547-1833) that is all there has been painted one time but its clean and i know jack about packards and i need some info before i get started 1 is this a 12 volt car or has some one converted it ?? 2 there are 2 engines in this car ?? how do i tell witch one i have ???

Posted on: 2012/9/18 13:09
AL
 Top  Print 

Re: new to packards and have a lot of questions please help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome. For starters, 55's are 12v Positive ground and there are two engines. The 5547 Panama Hardtop is in the Super series and should have the 320 if still the original engine. Check one of the numbers to determine if original. Here are the locations. Your engine number should be the same as the number on door pillar if still original. If you check the casting number over bellhousing as shown in the last photo, note that there is a difference of opinion on whether the 320 number is a 1 or looks more like a 7.

Almost all the literature published for 1955 is available for download on the site so feel free to get acquainted with your new project.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.55 KB)
209_5058ba68035d6.jpg 1280X318 px

Posted on: 2012/9/18 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

AL HIZER
See User information
wow thank you....... this is a barn fresh find with 50k on it the older lady that i bought it from said her husban bought it new after he died they put it in the barn as she said it was the too ugly for her to drive lol so i hope its all original. now how about the brakes where is the master or where do you put fluid lol

Posted on: 2012/9/18 13:35
AL
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on brakes. Power brakes use the Bendix Treadlevac and is one unit. Located under the steering column. Access is gained by leaning waaaaay over the fender and diving down to remove the cap. The pedal will be suspended and have Easamatic cast in the rubber pad. If you do have the treadlevac or BTV as it is called here, since it has been sitting strongly suggest you have it thoroughly gone thru before taking the car on the road. Several sad tales from those who didn't.

If manual brakes, pedal will go thru the floorboard. Master is located near the transmission hump slightly behind the accelerator pedal. Access is by pulling the carpet back and removing a plate covering it. Both use ordinary DOT3.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 13:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

AL HIZER
See User information
on the pedal it did say power, ohh and no no driving yet lol have the car in my paint booth up on stands and going to get it all freshed up.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 14:05
AL
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With a fairly low build number, am guessing the car has conventional coil & leaf springs. The optional for that model Torsion Level probably came later after it was built.

If you do have TL, remember the brake light switch (top of L frame rail below battery and vent) has to be working for suspension to do it's thing. The 3 prong switches used on TL cars have also been known to fail from sitting.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Al -

Welcome to the "World of Packard" and welcome to the site. Any question you might need answers to will be answered here. This is a truly amazing resource.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 16:07
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:...If manual brakes, pedal will go thru the floorboard. Master is located near the transmission hump slightly behind the accelerator pedal. Access is by pulling the carpet back and removing a plate covering it. Both use ordinary DOT3.

Howard, Ross changed the brakes on my 55 Clipper from BTV to conventional a non-boosted master cylinder. I believe he used pedal, linkage, and master cylinder from a 51-54 car. Anyway, the master cylinder is easily accessible from on top and can be seen from there too. It is below the steering column. They work great and no BTV worries.

Question: Is this location different than what Packard fitted originally to the non-power brake cars? Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Maybe we should move this discussion to the V-8 section?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Quote:

HH56 wrote:...If manual brakes, pedal will go thru the floorboard. Master is located near the transmission hump slightly behind the accelerator pedal. Access is by pulling the carpet back and removing a plate covering it. Both use ordinary DOT3.

Howard, Ross changed the brakes on my 55 Clipper from BTV to conventional a non-boosted master cylinder. I believe he used pedal, linkage, and master cylinder from a 51-54 car. Anyway, the master cylinder is easily accessible from on top and can be seen from there too. It is below the steering column. They work great and no BTV worries.

Question: Is this location different than what Packard fitted originally to the non-power brake cars? Thanks.

(o[]o)

Up thru 54 they mounted the manual master generally in the area you describe -- straight ahead of the pedal on the frame rail close to the steering box and fairly accessible from the engine compt. For some reason, 55-6 was moved to behind pedal and under the car. I'm not sure why unless it had something to do with the suspension changes.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.84 KB)
209_5059037364669.jpg 519X612 px

Posted on: 2012/9/18 18:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved