Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: position of R9 Lockout Control Lever on OD case ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks - I will have to go look again- that does not look like mine. I know some wires are disconnected Also. the former owner removed the overdrive solenoid. so,dont know what Ive got. I know I need to get under the car to look, but havent yet. When was the change from R 9 to R 11 ? And, who is close to Central Texas can work on this ? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/10/17 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks - I think that is right -

Posted on: 2012/10/17 17:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hard to get an exact date or serial number range when it might have happened. In his book on 22-23rd series, Robert Neal says best guess for the change over to R11 production to start was in December 48 and done in increments as B-W was able to deliver units.

To further confuse, if owner wanted to buy it there was a kit made available to dealers so they could make the change to earlier cars or earlier years if the R9 had exhibited the lockup issue.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 17:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Packard issued a statement to dealers explaining the correct procedure for locking out the new overdrive on December 23, 1948.
Packard records indicate that Eights through engine number 272006 used the R-9 overdrive. Eights after 285157 were equipped with R11s. For Super Eights, those up to 424978 used the R-9s. those after 427710 were equipped with R-11s. Customs up through 610359 were equipped with P-9s while those after 611500 were equipped with R11s.

During this gap, Packard was having trouble with obtaining parts from Borg Warner, among others.

Obviously, this leaves quite a few cars that could have originally been equipped with either. Couple that with the retrofit kit and your car is any ones guess.

As mentioned above check the components you have for identification. One additional identifier is that the cable for R-9s and R-11s run down opposite sides of the engine.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 19:32
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I guess my relay is missing - All I see is the voltage regulator and the accelerator switch. Where exactly would the relay be mounted ? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/10/19 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Engine side of the cowl or firewall, on the driver's side.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 10:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's a couple of photos -- one from photo gallery and other from a previous thread.

First is of little help as it only shows the R11 relay from the side & in the general area mentioned in O_D's post. I highlighted the relay and area so you can get an idea where to look.

Second photo is a good view of the R9 relay and accelerator switch in the area under the voltage regulator.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.84 KB)
209_50817cac2ecf1.jpg 800X599 px

jpg  (89.58 KB)
209_50817cb7cab04.jpg 921X942 px

Posted on: 2012/10/19 11:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you so much - Pictures ARE worth 1000 words. I think I have a R9 , but need to go look. The cable would go down the right side of the engine if it is R 9 - right ? Thanks for your patience

Posted on: 2012/10/19 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
Thank you so much - Pictures ARE worth 1000 words. I think I have a R9 , but need to go look. The cable would go down the right side of the engine if it is R 9 - right ? Thanks for your patience

Yes. The right side. It's one of the cables coming out of the firewall grommet sideways directly above the Electromatic air filter cap and below the tubing & wiper motor.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I have another question - The cable goes down the right side , so I guess I have the R 9 overdrive. Trying to determine if the solenoid I received with the car is correct. It supposedly was taken off the car for some reason. I do not know if it works, but need to know if is the right one for my car. It is a Delco- Remy . The number on the case is 1118005. The shaft is 2.25 in in length , and it has four contacts marked 3-4-6 and 7 . The reason I mention the shaft length,is some threads say it should be about 1 inch long. Also need to determine if it works or get it repaired or replaced. Thanks for your help - My car is a 1948 2262.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 22:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved