Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'38 what-if
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
A little dream'n on a Saturday afternoon... this photo mod starts with the 134" 2/4 convertible coupe and moves the canvas top rearward several inches to bring the two rear passengers into the passenger compartment. Rear seating would be side-facing aux seats that would stow into the trunk's forward bulkhead when not in use. Rumbleseat lid's hinges would be relocated to make the cover open like a conventional decklid. Raked chrome v-windshield for sportiness. Spare stored in the trunk. Skirts shaped to fit.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.44 KB)
2060_5079afa8b32f7.jpg 594X294 px

Posted on: 2012/10/13 13:17
 Top  Print   

Re: '38 what-if
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Nice!

Added some front fender skirts that turn with the wheels...

Attach file:

jpg  (28.78 KB)
1584_507aaaf443db2.jpg 594X294 px

Posted on: 2012/10/14 7:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Somewhat the same idea (w/o the skirts) as the 37 Super 8 victoria by Rollston.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Has any car ever had such skirts? Would be quite an engineering challenge, not sure if more complicated if skirts were to move up/down with wheels or stay fixed in the vertical.

The only Rollston I could find appears to be on the 1508 chassis and is very similar to Packard's own Victoria. Was after something a little more compact and sporty that straddled in between the Victoria and convertible coupe. I like the elegant and racy downward sweep of the body aft of the doors.

The idea has a pretty straightforward lineage. Borrows the skirts and split windshield from the '34 LeBaron Speedster and the roll down side quarter windows from the Cord 5-pass convertible. Was at the Packard museum in Warren OH the other week comparing the One Twenty pace car (convertible coupe with fender skirts) and '38 Twelve 2/4-pass convertible coupe. Wondered how the big guy might look with the little guy's skirts (not that they would fit). Also pondered how the new body proportions might look were the big guy's greenhouse to be extended rearward to just ahead of the rumble seat decklid (there's about 7-10 inches of sheetmetal to play with). The car would have been pretty easy to do by Rollston et al with no new body sheetmetal fab save for some minor edge work. The wood underneath would have needed reframed in the area altered. The skirts would have needed to have been carefully shaped to clear the wheels without looking like they were bulging out too much. The inward curve at the bottom of the Senior rear fenders really isn't designed to accept skirts. One trick might have been to install the Super 8's slightly narrower wheels in the rear while keeping the Twelve's wider wheels up front to fill out the wheelhouse a bit more. The 38-42 Jumior skirts work well enough although they aren't flush like the 35-37 Juniors or '34 LeBarons.

Of all the mods I have bumbled through and probably at times burdened the club with, this is one of my favorites.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I've seen some European coachwork with front skirts, but they are fixed to the fenders of course. The wheels are deep in the fenders and they are limited in turning angle. Fixing the skirts to the wheel hubs would be problematic - think of vertical suspension movement.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 22:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved