Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 246

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Thief-proof (body dash) numbers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Benjamin
See User information
In 2011 I purchased it from Cecil South of Wilmer Texas, prior to him Clarence H Derksen from Waupun Wi owned it.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 16:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So, Owen I'm not sure what your saying about the car?

Well, sure it's a 1931 and they were all 8 cylinder cars in 1931. What I'm saying is that we've now gotten a second photographic confirmation that Packard was using the later type of vehicle numbering system sometime during 1931 and not beginning in 1932, and of what the type font was.

The number type in your case is often called BTPPN (Body Type Plus Production Number) and can be decoded. Your number 474 decodes to mean a 1931 Model 845 DeLuxe Eight (top of the line, the "large" 384 cubic inch engine) 145" wheelbase with a 5-7 passenger sedan body, and its the 169th (179-10) such car built for the model year 1931. The prior type of vehicle number also in use in 1931 was just a 6-digit number more or less equal to the motor number from which really nothing more could be determined. So it's the photographic confirmation of the type font that was so intriquing to me.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 16:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Benjamin
See User information
Ah!, thanks for sharing the knowledge. Appreciate your help, now how do I go about finding a oil filter for this thing, I'm new to this as you may already tell. But, before I actually start running it to far, I wanted to change the oil and just do a little maintenance. But, I din't know where to start on what would replace that filter?

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 17:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are at least 2 suppliers who make a replacement filter for your car, both are externally identical to the original Purolator but internally use a modern spin-on cartridge type filter. Burr Ripley is one vendor, the other is R&A Engineering, they both advertise in all the usual places, Hemmings, The Packard Club, etc. Here's the info one 1 from the Yellow Pages on The Packard Club website. Many folks use Burr's filter so you can have confidence in his products.

And BTW, an 845 is a magnificent piece of Packard machinery, best of luck and much future enjoyment with it.

Burr F. Ripley 607-844-8473
136 W. Dryden Road
Freeville, NY 13068

Posted on: 2013/2/1 17:35
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Benjamin
See User information
Thank you very much for that information.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Service Counselor, April 1946

Packard Identifying numbers,
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL20NO4.pdf

Still does not explain, how the body dash number is embossed between the triangles.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD,

Here is a 56 Caribbean, that you can add to your data base. Look at the pictures on the left for the firewall numbers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-1956-Packard-Caribbean-Convertible-PRISTINE-MUSEUM-QUALITY-/160969832352?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item257a8cb7a0#ht_3547wt_948

Posted on: 2013/2/4 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Interesting heater hose connection. I wonder what that is all about.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/2/4 17:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
JW,

Good catch, look at the driver side open door photo. It is missing the switch in the door post, just wires hanging out.

It also looks like rust on the seat base right close to the carpet.

I would think for the asking price these things would be addressed with a Packard person.

Or maybe not!

Posted on: 2013/2/4 17:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Interesting heater hose connection. I wonder what that is all about.

(o{}o)

Not sure which part you refer to but if the curved section at the heater box, that would be typical for a car with an underseat heater -- which 56 Caribbeans supposedly did not have. Randy's friend does have one in his Caribbean however.

If that isn't what you mean, can you elaborate. I'm always a sucker for interesting "mods".

Incidentally, is this the same "restored" museum car that was on ebay and thoroughly and maybe somewhat negatively discussed last year or maybe year before. I remember one from somewhere in the midwest area which was a museum car. People pointed out several things wrong with it.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 18:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved