Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 222

Rscott77x, BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Thief-proof (body dash) numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
OD,

Very nice! May I inquire about the source of the records? Was it through a vendor or other private car enthusiast?

Posted on: 2013/7/6 18:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I received them from a PAC member who found them among some material he had recovered from an old dealership. The data thus far includes what seems like an unusual number of Henney commercial vehicles, almost 10% of the total. So the records would seem to extend from 1946 into 1951.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 8:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In continuing to analyze the 450+ just-received new vehicle delivery records, I find an interesting observation on the 48-51 Henney funeral vehicles. Based on the smallest of data samples thus far (only 3 vehicles), all are keyed alike, both door and ignition and to each other. Now I suppose it's likely that a single funeral home might like their fleet keyed in common, but I wouldn't have expected to find the same key #s on a delivery to another buyer. Just coincidence (Packard only used 250 different key numbers from about 1935 thru 1956)?

Any Henney owners out there that have their original key numbers? If so it would be interesting to see if they are also keyed the same.

EDIT: Thumbed ahead thru the pile looking for another Henney and found a delivery ticket for Southern Burial, also keyed the same as the prior 3. Looking less like a coincidence. I'd still like to hear from Henney funeral vehicles who know their key numbers!

Attach file:

jpg  (179.35 KB)
177_51dd6506aec03.jpg 1280X861 px

jpg  (259.65 KB)
177_51dd6513ccad0.jpg 909X1210 px

jpg  (146.07 KB)
177_51dd6a2781322.jpg 914X604 px

Posted on: 2013/7/10 8:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just when thru my Goss Motors delivery cards (courtesy of Roscoe Stelford) for the 22nd/23rd series and found two more Henneys, and again the same key #s. Seems far too much to be coincidence; I've got no more delivery cards to examine so, come on, let's hear from you postwar Henney guys that have your key #s.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.30 KB)
177_51ddb78100129.jpg 944X640 px

jpg  (109.45 KB)
177_51ddb78b4e11b.jpg 944X640 px

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Owen

A few months back I read an article about the theft of heavy earth moving equpiment-graders, bulldozers and such. They all use the same key code.
This is to prevent an operator going to a remote site and not having the right key on their person.Seems like the same principle to me. Don't want to collect a previously live body and have to put it in the passenger seat.

Thieves seem to have figured this out, but I gather it took them decades.

It's rather like the country called Klomstockia in a W.C Fields movie where all the females, human or animal, are called Alice. Reduces confusion

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/7/10 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Those bulldozer thefts are spreading because the cops don't do any work. A contractor had his bulldozer stolen in Washington DC and the cops told him "tough luck buddy"

So he flew around the area in an airplane until he found it.

When he called the cops they didn't care.

So today it's okay with the cops to steal $100,000 because they have no work ethic.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2013/7/10 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, I did make note of the numbers but I'm not sure how reliable the information is. The seller doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable, his estimate of remaining 54 Caribs is low by at least half. And given what seems like his confusion between vehicle numbers, motor numbers and what he calls production number, plus that there are apparently two cars involved left me a bit uncertain about whether 5478-2267 and <C78773> and M603375 was in fact a matched set from an original car. I'd rather have no data than bad data.

EDIT: Back to the Henney key topic, does anyone have a P-1251 key that they can scan and post a good, clear image of here? I've got a couple of Henney owners with non-original keys and it would be nice to see if they match the P-1251.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 22:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Interesting that despite first blush, the forms are differently titled with unlike form numbers at the lower left corners of the form. Wondering what the significance may be?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 22:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved