Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Will this puller work on my rear drums?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Hi all,
I'm looking at bidding on this puller on Ebay.

It appears to be just like the image of the one I obtained from this website.

Anyone tell me what I need to look for, other than it appearing to look the same?

Is there a part number I should look for?

Here's a pic of one I'm bidding on. Anyhelp appreciated.

Any other tips?

Thanks,

Chuck in AZ
52 Packard 300

Attach file:

jpg  (5.55 KB)
194_484c886875381.jpg 174X300 px

Posted on: 2008/6/8 20:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Will this puller work on my rear drums?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That one is exactly what you'd want. I had one exactly like that and gave it away thinking I'll never need it anymore. Turns out I was wrong!

Posted on: 2008/6/8 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
It will work fine. It's just like the one I have. I bought mine used from a tool rental firm. They don't have much call for this type of tool these days.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 21:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Thanks alot for the quick answers guys. Hopefully I'll get one of them this week.

Chuck
52 Packard 300

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Hi All,

Related Question ...

Is this type of puller the same as is needed for Pre-War Packards? Did Packard use the same tapered shaft arrangement in the 50s?

I have a 41 Clipper (tapered shaft) with drums that (to my knowledge) have not been off in 25+ years. I have only had the car less than a year. I have been able to rebuild the front brakes which had a corroded driver side cylinder. Would love to see what the back cylinders and shoes look like. (Maybe I wouldn't, they do work at least).

I know a MN Packard Club member with an old puller, but he is 250 miles away. Haven't got there yet.

Dan in SD

Posted on: 2008/6/9 22:34
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I can only speak for the two cars that I own. A 39 12 sedan and 40 180. I have owned both cars for many years and restored both myself. Both of the cars were two or three owner cars and had very limited servicing for many years. I got a puller similar to the one in the picture. It bolted fine to both sizes of rear drums. You need to be very careful not to damage the drums as the drums can be on there very tight. On the 40 I was able to get them to pop only after alot of careful banging on the puller and some heat on the drum hub. On the 39 after much frustration, and again not wanting to damage the drums or the puller, an old timer told me to keep the nut about 1/2 to 3/4 turn loose and drive the car around until the drum popped. Which it did. Whether using the puller or the slightly loose nut be careful.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 23:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That type of puller will work with any rear drum that sits on a tapered axle. At one point I had 3 different ones. I Blue Point Heavy duty one (pic below), one similar to type posted above, that John (Packard53) now owns, and a cheapo one came with a lot of tools I inherited.

The whole point with this type of puller is that it attached to the lugs bolt and not the edge of the drum. Also it's designed so you can wack the handle with a big hammer (BFH) , and that shock helps to break the drum loose.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.62 KB)
1_484e066dc6edc.jpg 445X529 px

Posted on: 2008/6/9 23:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Thanks Kev & Tolandis,

You both confirm what a huge job the rear drum removal is. I think I need to get to the MN Packard Club Tech Wksp in Nov and get some help there.

Kev, Your puller looks like the one I saw. All of them have 'kiss' marks from years of hammer blows (probably 3 pounders!).

For now I am just glad to have the brakes working at all. The Clipper wasn't on the road for 20 years before I started into it in Nov.

Thanks again for info and great website.

Dan

Posted on: 2008/6/10 0:14
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
This is what tool looks like installed. Leave nut on just loose and tap the spreader with four pound hammer. They'll pop when freed up...

Attach file:

jpg  (41.63 KB)
546_4856e696da6b2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/6/16 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I'v worked on several cars that were sitting for a long time. Two of them had rear breaks that were stuck. In order to get the drums off. I had to break loose the shoes and then pull the drums. If you have been driving your car, that won't be the problem. Over the years I have used both methods mentioned above, driving with a slightly loose axle nut and the puller. I prefer the puller when ever possible.

Posted on: 2008/6/16 22:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved