Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 320 engine remove or adjust fanbelt
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
I have a 1929 626 320 engine with the side mounted waterpump.
I have looked through the 1929 service manual but cannot find how to adjust the tension on the fan belt so it can be loosened off to the remove. Suggestions Please. Cheers Mal

Posted on: 2012/11/8 18:31
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
1936 120B Convertible Coupe RHD
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 320 engine remove or adjust fanbelt
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

easyed
See User information
Mal

On the side mounted water pump there is five bolts which hold the water pump clamp plate. If you loosen these the impellor and pulley shaft sandwiched between this plate and the main housing bolted to the engine is allowed to rotate.(center of shaft is offset to its outside housing thus will loosen or tighten the fan belt when rotated)

easyed

Posted on: 2012/11/8 23:49
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

danh
See User information
The top pulley also adjusts up and down.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 6:30
dan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
Thanks guys, I knew there had to be a way but currently engine a bit dirty and not easy to see an eccentric or offset.
Cheers Mal

Posted on: 2012/11/18 19:29
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
I have removed and stripped the side mounted water pump and the fan pully assembly and can see that the water body will actually fit into the housing on the front of the motor. I know that the 1929 engine had the side mounted water pump as there was not enough room between the front of the engine and the radiator until they changed things in 1930. I will be moving my engine back in the chassis for my speedster project so wonder if I should refit the water pump body into the front of the engine as that would tidy things up and I will have the room. I am assuming that there is a baffle plate or something similar in the water jacket of the 1930 engine behind the where the water pump fits to ensure the flow of water from the inlet radiator hose to the back of the pump impeller. There is no such baffle in my 1929 water jacket as the water just comes into the block and can flow everywhere.
I am assuming the water jacket castings are the same for 1929 and 1930 on the 320 engine, and hopefully only a baffle plate or something similar is all I need. Can someone with experience of the 1930 water pump and the water jacket area where it sits, let me know their thoughts on my proposed repositioning of my water pump to front of engine.
Cheers Mal

Posted on: 2012/11/27 0:25
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved