Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
My fuel tank is loaded with varnish, in horrible shape inside. I pulled out the sending unit and it literally had wings of varnish on the arms. I'm considering sending it to Kanter and buying a new one. I'm sure the shipping will be killer from Minnesota to New Jersey. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2012/11/10 23:23
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you checked with Mike Dulinski. He's closer and may have a refurbished tank. Repro 57-58 Ford passenger car senders (same as our 51 on's) are available from several places.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 23:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thanks I'll give him a call.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a 57 Ford sending unit in my 51 200 and it works fine. Also much less expensive. It's quite easy to install - I put mine in by lowering (and not removing) the tank.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If you know which resistance value of your sender than you can cross reference it to an aftermarket unit. That's what I did with my 47 Packard. But since my unit was a basket case, I hooked up some resistors and calculated that I could use the 0-30 Ohms sender which works with most pre- 1965 GM cars.

Ohms/Resistance
(Empty/Full) Popular Models
0-90 Ohms most GM cars, 1965-up
73-10 Ohms pre-1989 Fords & most Chryslers
240-33.5 Ohms Industry standard, works on many popular cars
0-30 Ohms most pre-1965 GM cars
16-158 Ohms most '89-up Fords

Posted on: 2012/11/11 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
The sending unit is fine it's the tank that I'm worried about. Thank you for the information!

Posted on: 2012/11/11 17:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Wesley Boyer wrote:
If you know which resistance value of your sender than you can cross reference it to an aftermarket unit. That's what I did with my 47 Packard. But since my unit was a basket case, I hooked up some resistors and calculated that I could use the 0-30 Ohms sender which works with most pre- 1965 GM cars.

Ohms/Resistance
(Empty/Full) Popular Models
0-90 Ohms most GM cars, 1965-up
73-10 Ohms pre-1989 Fords & most Chryslers
240-33.5 Ohms Industry standard, works on many popular cars
0-30 Ohms most pre-1965 GM cars
16-158 Ohms most '89-up Fords

All gauge (temp, oil, gas) senders on the 51-56 Packards are King-Seeley resistance type. Those senders use the 73 empty 10 full range as in Fords and Chryslers. 6 or 12v is not an issue as the gauges are regulated to 5v.

1950 and before gets a little confusing and varies by the type gauge. 0-30 may be S-W's range in use then since many models appear to have had S-W gauges. My 47 does and I believe some prewars did as well. It gets a bit more interesting with the cars that have the bimetal type senders. I believe 22-23rd series fall in that group.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
you might want to check out gastankrenu.com. I have not used the service, but probably would if I could avoid shipment. I see there is a shop in New Jersey.
Best of Luck

Posted on: 2012/11/11 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Howard is correct the 48/49/50 use a bimetal sender. Wolf rebuilt mine a couple of years ago

Posted on: 2012/11/12 8:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved