Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 206

Owen_Dyneto, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Plant Door
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Several weeks ago Hank (cli55er) was posting on his project blog that is on this site (Henry's 55 Constellation) about the expensive costs involved in getting the stainless trim on his Clipper straightened and polished. Reading this, I replied that I had a complete NOS set of the lower Constellation trim pieces. I had bought them thinking it would be a nice way to dress-up my 55 Super Clipper sedan. Since then, I have decided not to do this. I proposed to sell the trim pieces to Hank.

He got back to me saying that funds were not available to purchase the trim from me, but that he had a door from the Packard plant that he had bought from the foundation. He bought this door, another door and some crown molding pieces, which he has since installed in his home. He had brought the door to Salado this year trying to sell it, but there were no takers. He askedif could we make some kind of trade - door for trim?

I thought about it and decided this would work for me. There was one glich though. He only had one original certificate from the foundation certifying that the pieces he had bought came from the Packard factory. I said that I would have to have an original certificate to go with the door, or else all I would have would be an old door.

Hank contacted the foundation and asked for a certificate for the door he was trading to me, and another one for his other door. Originally, he only got one certificate for all the pieces he purchased. It took a few weeks for the certificates to be produced and mailed.

Finally, we were able to meet on a Sunday afternoon at a McDonald's in Waco. Waco is about midway between his house and mine. There we met, watched his young son play around, visited for a short time, and made the swap - door and certificate for a set of trim pieces. Success!

I am not sure what to do with the door on a permanent basis. The first chore to do on the door was to clean it. It was filthy with over 55+ years of exposure to who knows what. I got it cleaned up this weekend. I used Murphy Oil Soap to clean it, and applied Old English lemon oil to the dried wood. It cleaned up nicely and the oil helped to bring out the oak grain pattern. I did not want to refinish it, keep it as original as possible. It is now in my office, posed leaning against a wall with a framed Packard coat of arms decal in the area where the window was located. I got the decal a few years ago from a vendor on eBay and had it framed to preserve it. The two make a nice display.

Thanks for getting through this long winded story. And, thanks to you Hank, the door has a good home and is being enjoyed.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (23.52 KB)
565_50a03f6303f35.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/11/11 19:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Plant Door
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Man, that looks great! makes me want to get mine out and clean it up. what a change on that! i'm going to have to look into that stuff you used, cause that is just amazing!

thanks for sharing and for the trade!

Hank

Posted on: 2012/11/12 9:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved