Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

37Blanche, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1948 brake light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you so much - I am getting an education in Packard wiring !

Posted on: 2012/11/17 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Well, I checked with a test light , and I do have power to the brake light switch That's good - Now to check to see if switch is bad. Does it matter which wire goes to the contact posts ? Also, what size wrench to remove the switch ?

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the two terminal switches, it does not matter which wire goes to the terminals. I believe the wrench size will be a 1" however that really depends on the switch. Other than the part which threads into the plumbing, nothing else has to be a given size.

Since there is power, you can positively determine if the switch is the culprit by removing the wires off the switch and short them together by inserting a small length of wire into the round terminal ends. Just make sure there is a good connection and then look at the lights. They should be on.

You had mentioned low fluid so as long as you have a good firm pedal that doesn't go all the way to the floor, that is not likely an issue.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks, I will do that =

Posted on: 2012/11/26 10:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you have to remove the switch, make sure to back up the distribution block with a thick wrench so it doesn't move.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 14:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
The switch is screwed into the top of the fitting

Posted on: 2012/11/26 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
After having my oils changed, I had a new brake light switch installed ( Napa SL 134 ) . Still no brake lights, so I must check the wire from the switch to rear lights. Also, need to remove the license plate light. Anyone know offhand what size wrench fits the mounting bolts ? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/30 10:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know the wrench size off hand but with all the light problems, look carefully up under the dash on the left hand side. There are several push on connectors joining the main part of the loom to the 5 or 6 wires that go overhead along the left side of the car under headliner and into trunk area. On a 47 the exit point is just below the windshield "A" pillar and a few inches slightly toward the car center. I expect the 48 may be similar.

Verify whether your car has the brake light go thru the turn signal switch or not. 22nd series supposedly did not but good to check and make sure. If you only have 3 wires exiting the steering column just under the dash edge, it does not. If you have 6 wires going into a round plug exiting, then it does.

If you have the system where brake light does not go thru turn signal, since you have power to the brake switch & a new switch, to me unless the wire is broken or you have a very poor ground to the bulbs that only leaves the connector.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
The hot wire that connects to the brake switch is not in the greatest condition, may need to be cleaned up. If I get a good connection across the switch , then will have to trace the wire to back lights ( haven't tried the the outgoing post on the switch with brake down yet ) I dont think it goes thru the turn signal switch, but will look. I didnt know the wire goes under the headliner to trunk area - I may have to run a new wire from switch to rear.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Usually the wires under the headliner don't cause much problem because they are protected and well secured -- unless a mouse has got to them. The exposed unprotected portions and particularly the connectors at each end of the wires have caused problems.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved