Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

winger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Prewar heater switches.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone know how many styles of reversible or deluxe heater switches there were? Believe all mounted under the dash but seems there were several types. Were there particular years only one type was available?

Electrically, I think the reversibles are all the same but obviously different than just the single motor or simple on/off low/high heater switches. That type also seemed to come in various styles but those are for another discussion.

I have a round knob type with internal lamp and printing on knob. Knob faces the passengers. Center off with a small name plate encircling the knob with the function identification printed above the knob.

There is the style with the bi directional lever under the wide name plate as shown in Yesterdays radio catalog and also a post or two on site here. Not sure how or if that is illuminated but I suspect the switch may be the same one -- just positioned vertically instead of horizontally.

I seem to recall a third type -- a fairly thin vertical rectangle with a sort of sliding toggle switch lever. Center off with on by moving the lever off center. Could go up or down to change direction. Believe up was defrost and down was heater with the functions printed on plastic that was part of and moved in a slot with the lever.

Was that last a Packard switch or am I hallucinating on details of the operation? Any others I have missed?

Posted on: 2012/12/4 13:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Prewar heater switches.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Originally the heater/defrost switches on my 38 jr. were located on either side of the radio knobs. The stock switches are long gone but I use the holes for directional signal lights.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 15:57
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for that info. Learned something as I didn't think any prewars except Clippers had heater switches actually in the dash.

Speaking of 41 Clippers, I see on the wiring diagram they had a reversible heater/defroster having multiple wires. One to ground and 3 to a totally different switch than the ones mentioned above. Appears to be same style switch in the dash like other Clippers. Does anyone recall how those switches operated. Postwar switches just pulled out for high and low speed but somehow prewars would have had to accommodate the reversing.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 18:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A photo of a 40 - 120 popped up in random photos. It has an assortment of extra switches for various items. These appear to be Packard switches although I didn't realize they came in gray. Wonder if they matched all the 41 colors as well. Was it typical to have them bunched or mounted together on the left like these or more likely to be operator preference?

Attach file:

jpg  (30.01 KB)
209_50c4108a311c4.jpg 543X483 px

Posted on: 2012/12/8 23:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved