Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: The Case of the Petulant Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Jim, I maintain 6 12V batteries (RV and cars) with the "float charger" available from Harbor Freight. The float charger is not a battery charger per se, it keep the battery in a full state of charge and shuts off when that condition is achieved. The paper work with the float charger says you must start with a full charge and the float charger keeps the charge there. Additionally the paper says that these chargers are not to be used to recharge a battery... I guess a more correct name might a battery charge maintainer. I've found them to work very well and I especially like the stand by feature that shuts off when the charge is full thereby not keeping a charge going past a full state which tends to over charge and boil off the electrolyte. These units run about $12.00 each but are on sale for $4.99 plus there's a %20 discount coupon. As far as I know they're only available in 12V.
Steve

Posted on: 2013/1/2 13:02
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, can you order a battery from TSC from their online site and have it delivered to you home or business instead of a store?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/2 13:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
just a note on battery tenders-make sure you check the water level frequently. The battery tenders have a tendency to cook the batterys

Thank you for bringing up a very good point. Hopefully I remember to do that.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 1:03
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
If you do wind up needing a battery, one thing I have become a firm believer in is a battery tender. The one I have is by Schumacher, has a trickle output and turns itself on and off as needed to keep the battery topped off. I mounted mine permanently to the tray but like all my other "mods" is easily removed with a couple of screws.

Several brands are available for 6 or 12 volt batteries. Many come with the typical clips for the post for temp use or the terminals for permanent mount.

Thank you again Howard. While I haven't gotten that far with the '51, I did look up the one you posted for my '55. Amazon did have a good price ($19) and I ordered on - should be here later this week.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 1:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

packardguy53 wrote:
Jim, I maintain 6 12V batteries (RV and cars) with the "float charger" available from Harbor Freight. These units run about $12.00 each but are on sale for $4.99 plus there's a %20 discount coupon. As far as I know they're only available in 12V.
Steve

Thanks Steve for the heads up re: Harbor Freight. I'll definitely look into that for my '51 - I'd already ordered the one for my '55 by the time I read your very good advise.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 1:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Jim, can you order a battery from TSC from their online site and have it delivered to you home or business instead of a store?

(o{}o)

As everyone probably gathered, I sort of stalled out on the '51 for the last few days. That said, I'm very glad you brought up TSC's on-line option JW. Their prices are so good compared to NAPA that I will certainly look into that this week.

I definitely want to thank Howard, JW,alm, Pat, packard1949 and everyone for the help, advise and great leads you all have given me with the "Case of the Petulant Packard". I'll let you all know how I'm getting along with the starting issue. After that, I've got the NOISE coming from the engine. But to share that, I need to get it started.

Thanks again,

Posted on: 2013/1/7 1:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
After taking a good hard look at both the under hood & cabin wiring I'm not surprised it won't start - I'm amazed it hasn't burst into flames. Bottom line is that I'm going to build a new wiring harness before I go any further with a new battery and what not.

On a lighter (no pun intended) note: thanks to Howard, my new Schumacher battery charger/maintainer arrived today from Amazon. I hope to get it installed in my '55 by this weekend. More on that later.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 15:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved