Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 87

Ozstatman, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trunk lining fasteners
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
New Year Greetings to the forum!
My end-of-2012 Packard project is to install the "new" trunk lining in the '56 Patrician. I bought a trunk lining kit at one of the Packard meets back in '01 and am now satisfied that I won't be getting paint on it in the near future, so in it goes.
The lining panel on the rear of the back seat is held on with 10 fasteners - Packard Part # - 339437 which I believe I have pictured below (It was the only fastener left in either the X or top support) so I am assuming that it is what was originally used by the factory.
Restoration Specialties has something close to the original in their #3885, but the original clip, and the Restoration Specialties clip are difficult to remove once installed, and I was wondering what others have done to fasten this panel for easier removal in the future. Possibly some sort of a wire clip with a button?
I do understand that this may be a moot point as how many times do you need to remove that panel once it is installed, but since I am in the process I thought I would canvas those who have gone before me with this for their thoughts.
Thank you all for a great site.
Fran

Attach file:

jpg  (59.05 KB)
4357_50ddc57850500.jpg 1280X942 px
pdf Size: 85.14 KB; Hits: 37

Posted on: 2012/12/28 11:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk lining fasteners
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are not opposed to going slightly non original as the restoration specialties sample would indicate, McMaster-Carr has some reusable plastic rivets which might do nicely.http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivets/=ksgo2d In the additional rivets section are the removable plastic rivets.

I don't remember the holes exactly but am thinking they are around 1/4" in diameter and the total thickness including brace channel would be around 3/8 to 1/2 inch. The arrow or keyhole types have a couple available in black which might be close in size to what is needed and have a decent looking smooth round head.

If plastic is not to your liking then as you said, it's not something that will come out often.

Attach file:

jpg  (3.24 KB)
209_50ddd042a24a4.jpg 131X184 px

jpg  (3.70 KB)
209_50ddd04abeb46.jpg 128X180 px

Posted on: 2012/12/28 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Find an Au-Ve-Co distributor near you, they have every clip known to man.

https://eporia6.eporia.com/resources/company_97/2009%20Section%2019.pdf

Posted on: 2012/12/28 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
TCPglobal carries a number of fasteners, as does Restoration hardware athttp://www.restorationspecialties.com. I think they will have what you want.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 16:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Not to diss restoration supply, but they are buying Au-Ve-Co and marking it up.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can remove the rear seat cushion and back then have access to the X-brace to knock the fasteners out from the inside.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
You are certain right on Av-Ve-Co having everything. However, I don't always need 25 glove box rubber bumpers, so I buy them from Restoration Hardware and pay more per unit. Both places have their purposes. Good to know about both.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 20:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Fran56
See User information
Thank you gentlemen,
I was not aware of Av-Ve-Co, sounds like a great resource. I decided that plastic fasteners in this application were not offensive, and was going to see if there was a local distributor for Av-Ve-Co, or if not convenient, just order from Restoration Specialties, but I needed another can of trim adhesive, so went down to the local NAPA store. I never looked there before for trim fasteners, but they had a fair selection, including some wire clips. Below is what I chose. They look like they should work.
Thanks again.
Fran

Attach file:

jpg  (97.88 KB)
4357_50de4ee81b906.jpg 1280X1208 px

Posted on: 2012/12/28 21:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Isn't the brace a sort of a channel affair with the hole on the side opposite the cardboard so the channel is in the middle. I seem to recall the hooks on the original clips being right against the metal. If the channel is in the middle, I would wonder if the grip range on the Napa item is deep enough. It looks to be fairly shallow.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 21:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved