Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: painting the 51 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I really like the shape of the '51's David, lovely bonnet scallops and curvaceous trunk lid etc. No doubt You're getting plenty of exercise doing the colour sanding! I've just finished my coupe and it was a long process. I kept finding traces of orange peel and had to go back over spots again. I used the one foam pad and some fine 3M buffing compound, it took quite a few passes to get the 2000 scratches out so maybe I should have gone three pads like you did . . .

Certainly it is a good feeling to finally get the painting done.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Finally got the Packard out of the garage yesterday to do some more buffing. I'm using a Harbor Freight variable speed buffer, with three different pads. The instructions on the cutting compound said to set the buffer at 1200 rpm with the wool pad, which I've been doing with lousy results. I finally realized that the cheap buffer bogs down probably 400 rpm when it's working, so I set the speed at 1700 instead. Lo and behold - it actually worked! The orange peel disappeared in about three seconds. Nice to see it actually works. I'm now on the medium yellow foam pad now and you can see a nice reflection in the paint. Maybe I will actually get the chrome trim back on before Spring!

Posted on: 2013/3/11 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Still sanding and buffing after having some touchup work done by the painter. The areas under the fenders weren't sprayed enough and we had some minor chips on the edges of the hood and trunk. Those are now taken care of. The bad news last night is I picked up the trunk ornament with the NOS plastic insert I found a few years ago. You guessed it, it fell out and cracked it, creating a small chip in the red paint and two cracks in the plastic.

I'm thinking about going to Hobby Lobby to see if they have some liquid plastic I can use to fill the chip. Anyone have any suggestions, or better yet another NOS insert?

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have straightened out the stainless steel trim and was ready to put it back on when I remembered that the old fasteners were mostly toast. i tried the local hardware and nut/bolt stores in town, but none had the clips I needed. So I took some stiff metal flashing and cut it into rectangles about 1-1/4" by 3/4". I drilled a hole thru each piece, threaded a 10 x24 bolt into it and soldered it in place. I then bent the metal into a gentle curve so that it would fit into the metal trim. I had found at Ace Hardware some plain rubber washers and some domed metal washers with rubber backing. It was then very easy to reinstall the trim and fasten everything down with some 10 thread nuts. The plain rubber washers are on the outside of the fenders and the domed ones on the inside. It all worked very nicely, and only took about 45 minutes to fabricate all the fasteners I needed.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 17:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here are some photos of the homemade fasteners. They work like a champ, and I didn't have to wait for the UPS truck!

Attach file:

jpg  (56.64 KB)
1679_5160c769ebec6.jpg 1280X856 px

jpg  (58.32 KB)
1679_5160c7793e421.jpg 1280X856 px

Posted on: 2013/4/6 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. Save $$ along with no UPS truck.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 20:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Very good David. I appreciate your ingenuity.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information

Posted on: 2013/4/6 23:09
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Thank you David! That is a really neat tip.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2013/4/16 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Glad the tip was a hit. It certainly worked well on reinstalling the trim.

I installed the rear bumper and the splash shield yesterday. The splash shield originally came with a rubber trim stapled on it. I haven't had much luck finding a reproduction one, so I bought some vacuum line hose and spilt it longways with a razor. It was easy to install the rubber along the ins and outs of the splash guard edge. It probably won't seal as well as the original, but then I don't drive much on dirt roads anymore. But it does keep the guard from touching the bumper.

Today, I hope to get the the rear seat and the interior door panels back in, It is still snowing here, but we have a two hour drive and picnic scheduled for Sunday when the weather is supposed to cooperate.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 8:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved