Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 55 Drag Link and Torsion Level Motor seals/gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Gents........

I got the motor back and it is fine. Rebuilder didn't touch the gears. That's up to me. Grease inside hard in some places, so I'm contemplating the parts washer. What grease etc. Is recommended please?

Attach file:

jpg  (82.71 KB)
20_50ea130aae1d8.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (114.79 KB)
20_50ea1332a9de0.jpg 1280X760 px

Posted on: 2013/1/6 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's my suggestion which I've posted before:

2. Mechanical brake cables (thru 1936) and Torsion Level gear boxes. Sta-Lube SL3303, a product of CRC, seems a good replacement for the originally specified Gredag 213 ? for brake cable conduits. This is a molybdenum disulfide grease fortified with graphite and Teflon, just a terrific product. I also use it on other friction points in brake systems and also use it to replace Packard's "special" grease in the Torsion Level planetary gear box.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cleaning is just as with any other filthy dirty component except the old grease is gooey black & stains everything it touches. I would wipe off as much of the old as possible. After that you can use Henry's purple degreaser on the steel parts but on the top and bottom housings I'd just use ordinary kerosene or solvent so you wouldn't have to worry about damage to the castings or bronze bushings etc.

For the lube, Packard just called it special lubricant in the service and parts manuals but another publication mentioned it was molybdenum disulfide grease. With that in mind a quality brand extreme pressure and water resistant grease containing moly should work. O_D has listed a good one.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 20:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i've rebuilt this already. remember my blog is your friend.

i just used moly infused stuff off Autozone's shelf. seemed to work fine. i bought the stuff in the can.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Coastal-1-lb-453-592-g-industrial-moly-extreme-pressure-grease/_/N-25ap?itemIdentifier=561753_0_0_

Posted on: 2013/1/6 20:13
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just remember your lubricant also should be essentially non-chanelling; that is to say that after it is displaced by the gear motion it needs enough flow property to return and relubricate the just exposed metal surfaces.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks guys. Will keep you posted.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Interesting. As I look a little deeper......I guess I see the effects of "channeling". I see hardened amounts of old grease built up outside the grasp of some gears.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
On the subject of Torsion Level motors, mine is off the car (56 Patrician). The insulation on the four wires coming out of the case is not in good shape. I took it to an electric motor repair shop to have them replaced. Their repairman said that the armature must be rewound to replace the wires. That just doesn't sound right. I believe the external wires attach to the field, not the armature. I shouldn't think the field must be rewound to replace the wires either.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2013/1/8 0:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not quite following which wires you mean but at any rate I'd get another opinion. Two of the wires from the separate field coils join together and go to one of the brushes. The other two wires come out via the two terminals on the case. If the insulators are broken so the terminals are loose, the motor was essentially a modified Delco generator which used many of the standard Delco parts so the insulators should be available.

The armature itself shouldn't have anything to do with the field wires. If the motor sat in water or got overheated possibly the varnish insulation was damaged but otherwise I don't see why the armature would have to be rewound. There must be something else the shop saw.

Perhaps some pictures of the problem and Jason or someone else might offer another suggestion.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 9:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
According to this document the motor is a high production generator.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SAE_Torsion.pdf

When you say coming out of the case, is that outside under the car? I was thinking that the wires are screwed to terminals on the outside. As HH said pictures would help.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 14:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved