Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 180

curpack, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

removing crank counter weights-526
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
the more things i take apart on my new 28-526,the more problems i find. my new old block would not clean out the rust pits at .060, sleeves on order to sleeves back to std. also have bad throw on #6 so will have to grand the the extra crank that came with the car. my crank grinder charges $200 to do the crank and $800 to take off the 4 counter weights and replace them. my question is have any of the readers taken off and replaced the weights. thanks for your help. dell

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:23

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: removing crank counter weights-526
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
my question is have any of the readers taken off and replaced the weights

I've never actually done it entirely myself, hands-on, but have been closely involved with machine shops quite a few times times doing it on 320, 384 and 356 engines. $800 to remove/reattach the counterweights seems very reasonable to me.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I've removed the counter weights from a 356 but the machine shop replaced them with socket head bolts and filled the holes with weld metal.

Removal was done by drilling a hole in each blind retaining bolt and using a Lisle brand splined screw extractor to turn it out.

If I was to do it again I'd try to find a different way of replacement that would be easier to service if necessary.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 1:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The two machine shops I worked with did it a bit differently, they set up the crank in a milling machine and milled the weld and bolt heads out, then removed the weights and the remaining portion of the original bolts. After turning the journals they made new bolts according to the original style and after tightening, cut the remaining shank off and welded them, followed of course by rebalancing the assembly.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 12:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Some years ago I removed the weights from my 333 engine by machining the crankshaft in a radial drill.
The bolt tops were machined down to the point where the weight would come off.

The remaining thread was then able to be grasped with a wrench and unscrewed. After the repairs were completed the weights were then refastened with high tensile socket head screws.

The holes were not filled to the top of the weight so that the screws can be accessed again. There does not appear to be any appreciable change to the engine vibration.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 20:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved