Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery Maintainers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I just got my new battery maintainer/charger by Schumacher for my '55 Patrician. While I didn't see anything in the instruction booklet forbidding it, can you leave the wires hooked up to the battery (un-plugged from the wall outlet) while running the engine/driving the car? Since the wires to the battery from the unit have ring terminals suggesting permanent installation I figure one doesn't have to connect and disconnect every time I run the car. However, I thought I'd check with users here to make sure.

Thanks in advance-

Posted on: 2013/1/9 16:37
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery Maintainers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have two of the Schumachers permanently hooked up. One on the Packard and one on a 99 Ford Ranger.

Since my battery replacement, the Packard is mostly kept plugged in now so not a good reference. The Ranger used to sit long periods without being started when I had a company car. For the last couple of years it has been driven regularly so tender has been unplugged. It is still in the truck and connected as it has been since installation. No problems leaving either connected to the battery that I have noticed.

IIRC, in my original Schumacher instructions there was a mention of circuitry to prevent any current flow out of the battery and thru the unit when it was not plugged in and being used.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 16:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That would make sense to me as it would almost have to have that kind of circuitry for the "maintain" side.

Thank you so much Howard for this and all the other things you've helped me with.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Some I have seen have a connector built in to the short end harness that goes on the battery cable clamps, with big 1/4" eyelets on each wire and a polarized connector on the other end. That way you just unplug it and go.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
Some I have seen have a connector built in to the short end harness that goes on the battery cable clamps, with big 1/4" eyelets on each wire and a polarized connector on the other end. That way you just unplug it and go.

Thank you for that idea. It would eliminate any chance of a failure in the system - which I know can get nasty quick!

Posted on: 2013/1/9 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the thing is diode protected so current can only flow one way.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 22:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved