Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 179

HH56, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Transmission Cooler R&R
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

DrewLA wrote:
[quote]
JW wrote:

Given the problems a transmission oil leak can cause to a transmission and cooling system, you my want to re-think about using one of questionable integrity.

Drew, unfortunately Harrison hasn't made these coolers in many years so if we want our cars to appear and remain original, we don't have any choice but to replace them with used ones. Like OD said, the internal fluid lines are stainless and a good grade of it at that, it's usually the cooler body itself that fails from prior owners running straight water or coolant without rust inhibitors in their systems.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 9:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Cooler R&R
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Quite true! I was supporting your choice. As you say, it's the only one we have if we want to keep our cars original. The only other option would be to go away from originality and install an aftermarket cooler. Granted, there was an intense discussion in the early 1980's over whether the factory cooler was sufficient to cool the transmission during California summers in our local PAC region, but even that was unresolved. My Patrician has over 40k on the transmission with the stock cooler, was run for most of its life on comparatively primitive ATF, and it was built during a time when Hydromatics often needed an overhaul after half that. Packard did a pretty good job!

Posted on: 2013/3/7 11:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved