Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seat issue question
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My Patrician has the originals seats and upholstery. The rubber in the seats is rapidly turning into low grade sand.

Is it a big deal to remove the original material and reuse it? I'm thing the rubber could be replaced and any necessary repairs done (retying springs?).

If you were contemplating this, what would concern you and what kind of money would you be thinking of?

What do I need to be sure gets done?

At the insistence of my 8 year old grandson, how much faster will that make my car....

Posted on: 2013/1/26 18:28
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Seat issue question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Pat, if your seat material is in good condition is can probably be used again. I had the padding in my 55 Clipper's front seat cushion replaced and re-used the original seat covering material. Worked just fine and not too expensive. Much more comfortable with the new padding.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/26 18:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with JW. I had it done and wasn't too bad at the time. Was many years ago so no estimate on todays cost.

My upholster also found some of the thread in the old seams was pretty weak. Was splitting or ready to. He touched up a few and reinforced what he could but was unable to do much to some others. That might be an issue as to how much longevity you can expect without farther problems.

Posted on: 2013/1/26 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Do you worry about having everything cleaned in some special way?

Puzzled about what options I should/could be looking for that are not so obvious.....

Posted on: 2013/1/26 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know about your particular area or if region has any bearing on this or not:

The biggest problem i'm having is getting any kind of cooperation out of upholseterers. 15 years ago NO problems whatsoever. 2 months running around to 5 different upholstery shops, one i used many times 15 years ago with a good reputation wouldn;t do the job the way i wanted it.

So the only problem u mite run into is finding a shop that WILL just replace the foam rubbber.

A simple section replacement in a pickup truck seat cost me $100, 15 years ago (the SAME SEAT THE SAME SECTION) $20.

I had estimates ranging from $350 to as little as $60. I went with the old veteran upholsterer at $100 but he still did not do it the way i told him to do it and the way he had agreed to do it.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 0:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My experience is that almost nobody does what you want done, or does it the way you want it done.

Sadly, the practical answer seems to involve changing both parameters.....

Posted on: 2013/1/28 19:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved