Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Third Series SIX rod bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
We have a Third Series Six Sedan.
The rod bearing babbit is very thin and needs to be replaced before it disintegrates and damages the crank.

Does anyone out there know of a modern bearing replacement, or do I have to have new babbit poured?

This engine was used in other Series, so I hope someone out there has some good words for me.....

Posted on: 2013/2/10 23:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Third Series SIX rod bearings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I strongly recommend you stay with babbitt. Paul's Rod & Bearing did my babbitt work for my Packard and also more recently a set for an early Pierce-Arrow I worked on. That was a few years ago and they had a superb reputation for babbitt work then and I've heard nothing in the ensuing time to suggest it's any different today. If your crank journals are in good shape, just send him the rods and the crank pin dimensions.

http://parkville.info/pauls/

Posted on: 2013/2/10 23:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear bujak:

According to Packard crankshafts of the 6th series and earlier were not suitable for insert bearing conversion.

Thus, you should stick with babbitted rod bearings.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Many thanks for the prompt responses...
Our LeBaron has the modern Mopar slant 6 bearing (but the rods had to be built-up to accommodate for the thrust size)
...didn't know of the SIX had any 'upgrades'.

Bob

Posted on: 2013/2/11 0:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Bob:

Thank you for the note on the Plymouth rod bearings. I used to tell people about that option, but nobody believed me.

One thing about the Packard notes on the crankshaft. If the crankshaft is removed and resurfaced I don't see any reason why inserts can't be then used. Packard stated that, beginning with the 7th series, the journals were using an updated hardening process.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Dear Bob:

One thing about the Packard notes on the crankshaft. If the crankshaft is removed and resurfaced I don't see any reason why inserts can't be then used. Packard stated that, beginning with the 7th series, the journals were using an updated hardening process.

He stated his car is a third series. Can inserts be used on those as well?

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/11 11:26
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved