Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Please help me find my nuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I am hoping you can help with my nuts. Specifically, I would like to find a supplier of knurled, domed spark plug thumb nuts like the one in the black and white photo below. I can find plenty of sources for the brass type, also pictured below.

Yes, I can braze a dome on the available nuts, machine it, and have a decent replica. I will do so if necessary.

Cheers,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (53.33 KB)
333_51191f2811000.jpg 1026X770 px

jpg  (4.27 KB)
333_51191f534dfda.jpg 160X224 px

Posted on: 2013/2/11 11:40
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Please help me find my nuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Do a GOOGLE 4 "bruce blevins packard" and a PDF file is listed.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
Hi Tom,

My 1929 has a similar nut to the one in the B&W photo on the spark plugs. I recently had Tioga Stainless in Burlington Vermont duplicate the knurled carburetor adjustment screw for my car and it came out great...very high quality. He machines them individually out of stainless which polishes up to look virtually indistiguishable from chrome. Hope this helps.

John Wogec

Tioga Stainless
sales@tiogastainless.com
(802) 655-9671

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I wish I could recall but I had no problem buying them, perhaps Restoration Specialties or one of the specialty stainless suppliers like A I R Fastener, Packard Twin Six, Tioga Stainless? There were two head sizes, you've got the right (smaller) one for 1934. Also note some spark plugs have a metric stud thread and some may have US, so best check the plug thread before ordering. If I run across where I got them, I'll add to this post but you may hit paydirt with the 3 above, I generally find my needs at atleast one of them.

PS - Don't forget that the silver/gray high tension wire is correct for 1933 and 1934. Stock item by the foot from I believe Restoration Supply or Restoration Specialties.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.88 KB)
177_511927549269b.jpg 869X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
SP Wire was STEEL GRAY in color and can be had
and
terminals can be had also

Niether supplier comes to mind right now - ill have to do some digging and thinking. Dont know which is harder.

Also there was a 7/16 lg boot on the end of the wire at the SP end. Ive simulated this with thick wall shrink tubing.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Wow, I had know idea you all knew so much about my nuts. Thanks tons for the fast response.

Bruce has what looks like the correct nut, so I will try him first.

It seems the nuts were at least 30-34.

Thanks tons for the help.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:24
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Just hit me RESTORATION SUPPLY sells both the eyelets and the STEEL GRAY WIRE

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

PS - Don't forget that the silver/gray high tension wire is correct for 1933 and 1934. Stock item by the foot from I believe Restoration Supply or Restoration Specialties.

Dave,

We have the correct plug wire.

Are the nuts you show original? They don't have the domed appearance that I think is correct.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:29
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, optical illusion, they ARE slightly domed, it just isn't apparent in the photo and I'm certain the originals were slightly domed as well though mine are not original. I believe the 7th series still used the larger diameter knurled nut but am not absolutely certain. And yes, the nuts would be right up Bruce's alley - forgot about him. As of a month or so ago, Restoration was out of the eyelets.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
BUMMER on Restoration Supply not have the eyelets anymore. There was a one man outfit selling SP Wire Assy Kits and parts, about 10-15 yrs back, but i think there long gone now. Wondered if thats where RS got their stock from. Rhode Island Wiring has a similar that will work without the prong.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 16:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved