Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Rebuilding the Carter WGD
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Looks like a good job Hans - Couple of questions on my carburetor. It leaks the gas out after sitting for about 30 minutes - then I have to pour a small amount in to start the car. I know I will rebuilt it - but why is gas leaking out so soon ? Also, the starting switch is still attached to the carburetor, but is converted to dash starter button. Is it a good idea to convert back to carburetor start ? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:...Also, the starting switch is still attached to the carburetor, but is converted to dash starter button. Is it a good idea to convert back to carburetor start ? Thanks

Depends on what your preferences are and how authentic you want the car to be. To me a separate starter switch is preferred over the carb switch as it gives more options for starting the car hot, cold, and in between. I installed a separate starter switch on my 47 Custom Clipper using the original wiring and leaving the carb switch in place. Much happier with this arrangement. It can be quickly converted back to original if the next owner wishes.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/13 15:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you J W - That's what I was thinking -

Posted on: 2013/7/13 16:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Hi John,

I can only tell you from my experience with the WGD that after a couple of days of not moving the car the float chamber seems to be dry. To avoid the situation of long starting to feed the fuel up to the carb or having to puor gas into it I installed a small handpump between the fuel pump and the carburator. I bought this from a watersports store where they sell it for outboard motor purposes.
When the car stands still for a longer period I just pump up the fuel manually and operate the starter after that.

What I discovered on my original carburator body was a steady fuel leak at one of the lead plugs just above one of the mixture screws. Because I had a better body lying around the problem was fairly easily solved. If you want to rebuild your carburator I would suggest a good inspection for fuel tightness when you have the parts lying before you on the bench and after reassembly before fitting it to your engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (1.85 KB)
3515_51e2e4efb211d.jpg 178X95 px

Posted on: 2013/7/14 12:52
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Thank you for your advice Owen. I will look into the situation further and test a Willys coil spring to check how it functions.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 12:53
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved