Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Body off and frame pictures
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe Flexane and PVC moulds is an absolutely BRILLIANT idea.

I have a Durometer gauge for measuring rubber hardness and i suppose NEW any rubber body mount from any car would make a good test sample for hardness. If u have a scrap piece from what u made or know from the Flexane what the durometer reading is then i can test a rubber body mount i have here from a ford.

Thanks for the fan and condensor dimensions. I've never seen a factory mounted condensor and the AC installation guide here at P'info.com does not show a pic of it either.

I'll use your dimensions and compare to what i have here.

Thanks, -Keith

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In the FIRST pic of your chassis, there is a white cabinet directly to the left of your tool box. What is that???? "Inquiring minds want to know."

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'll look and see if I still have any info on the flexane.

Just to the left of toolbox, under the radiator splash the yellowish box with square opening is a swamp cooler on wheels.
The only other whitish thing I see to the left is a stack of the concrete blocks that I used to hold body.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 22:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't find a sheet but here is info from a vendor site. I used it straight without the additive.

Devcon Flexane 80 Flexible Urethane (Black)

10,000 cps | 87A Shore Hardness
20 or 30 Min. Gel Time

Flexane urethanes are flexible, rubber-like compounds used for casting gaskets in place, repairing tanks, creating flexible jigs and molds, machinery parts, etc. These materials contain no solvents and feature a low shrinkage,and a high chemical and abrasion resistance.

This urethane is available in both a liquid and putty formulation. The liquid is ideal for creating flexible molds and holding fixtures. The putty is an extremely tough repair material and may also be used for lining high wear parts.

The Flex-Add additive may be used with Flexane 80 Liquid to produce a lower durometer castable urethane.

Flexane Urethanes contain no solvents and feature low shrink, high chemical and abrasion resistance. devcon-flexane80putty.jpg

Posted on: 2008/7/2 10:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
how bout some directions...ie. pvc pipe size, how to etc.... inquiring minds that want to save some money that just saw how much steele rubber charges would like to know. ;0)

Posted on: 2008/7/2 10:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Henry, Its been awhile so not sure I can answer all your questions. These are all the molds I have left so you can get an idea to match the description. There were different sizes so I took a tape measure to store and wound up with fittings that had an ID of 2 3/8 and 1 7/8. I believe they were 2" and maybe 1 1/2 pvc couplings. There may also have been actual pvc pipe.

Anyway, cut them into thicknesses to give a finished size of 2 3/8 by 1/2, 3/8, and 5/8 thick. The 5/8 thick one has a shoulder that fits into body mount positions. To make the shoulder, used a hole saw to make a 1 1/8 hole in some 1/8 thick plexiglass and then centered the PVC over that hole. A piece of solid plexiglass was on bottom to close things off. To make the hole where sleeve & bolt goes through, used tubing. The OD was 5/8 to match the sleeve and just sat in center. IIRC, some also had the sleeve molded so used the original.

Another size was 1 7/8 by 1/2 and 1/4 thick. On these, the 1/4 in thick ones had a shoulder of 1" by 1/8. I believe all of the pieces without shoulders of both diameters had steel washers molded in for the bolt to press against. Those I just laid the washer on bottom.

Once molds assembled, & glued then used silicone spray & WD40 as a mold release.

Can't give you an exact number--just counted the ones I had and added a few to each size for contingencies. At todays prices for flexane liquid ($40-50 box), it may not be cost effective. I don't remember how much I used so Steele may be cheaper when you figure what you need.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.41 KB)
209_486bd307a6f8c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/7/2 14:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks man!! yours are urethane though...which is way better in my opinion. all the performance stuff is either urethane or delrin etc... only thing about urethane...squeeks alot.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 14:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved