Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

Packard Don, DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removal of fram from body of car
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Should have made a note!!! Read and viewed the pictures of a post of a member who took the body of a 1949-1950(?) sedan up and off of its frame. He used a post jack system and took out the 8 bolts holding the car body to the frame.

Can anyone direct me to that post???

Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely,

Zougeride

"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!"

Posted on: 2013/2/21 15:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Removal of fram from body of car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't know about a thread on PackardInfo, but recently there was one on PerformanceYears.com which showed how a guy removed the body from the frame on his 1957 Pontiac. That's the technique I am going to use on my 1956 Panther (nee Clipper). See this thread:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719870

Scroll down to post #10.

He supported the body off of his cherry picker by using the seat belt bolt holes. If none of those on your car, one could probably use the front seat rear hold down bolt holes supported by a flat reinforcement underneath.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/2/21 19:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember a 22-23 series but here is a later series body removal using a post lift.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=82946#forumpost82946

Posted on: 2013/2/21 19:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I did an off-frame job, and used an engine crane to do the lifting. After undoing all hold-down bolts I first lifted the rear of my 24th Club Sedan, via strap around the boot lock mounting bracket (very strong point on a '51 car),

Once rear was lifted and supported the front was lifted and supported little by little with the engine crane also. This was using the door hinge mounting bolts.

Front lifts were not very elegant but the engine crane worked well and it being mobile was an advantage.

Then placed a full home-made frame under the body which had a few mounting holes drilled in exact same places as the '51 chassis. That helped the metalworker, who then knew where the mounting holes were as he replaced floor / trunk. The frame was built from 3inch angle and RHS(etc). About a yard off the floor so it allowed good access to do the metalwork / rust repairs and later painting under-floor.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 8:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved