Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 110

Gary Kulp, BigKev, dallas, PackardSanta, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trans Rear Seal Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, I was replacing the rear trans seal with the trans in the car. I have made a real mess of the seal trying to get it out and now I have to take off the Rear part of the trans to knock it out. Does anyone know if I can get that tailshaft housing off of the trans and out of the car with the trans still in the car. I figured I ask before I started unbolting things.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2013/2/25 12:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Trans Rear Seal Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you can since there were instructions on relocating the breather for 56's and it just said to remove the tail housing to work and drill the new location.

You must have the U joint flange off so you know about the long bolt on 55s. You will have to support the trans under the pan, might need to drain a bit of oil to lower it below the flange opening and get the drive shaft out of the way so rear housing will slide thru the crossmember opening and then drop down as needed..

Posted on: 2013/2/25 12:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Trans Rear Seal Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is no problem to remove the tailshaft. Remove the crossmember, speedo cable, and six bolts. Notice the locaton of the two special ones. Pull the tailshaft straight back, and do your best to have the parking gear and governors stay behind.

That seal is very deep and with a thick shell. I almost always have to heat the end of the tailshaft housing with a propane torch to get them out. As it is aluminum it expands nicely and lets the thing go. You might want to try that before even taking the tailshaft out.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 12:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved