Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 188

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BDC. Many thanks for your great explanation.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 11:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Thanks for the explanation for those of us without a chemistry background. Always a downside to every energy source, just depends upon which have the fewest drawbacks in balance.

Now, can someone explain why cellulosic ethanol has never gained much traction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosic_ethanol

Seems as if energy derived from various non-food source organics would have been the first choice.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/3/6 13:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know out here at least the cellulose conversion has proven to be not cost effective.

This being a huge agricultural area, there were several plants contemplated to use farm waste & one or two possibly built. Believe it was found the cost of gathering up crop waste and transporting to the plants turned out to be quite high compared to the old disposal methods. Coupled with the cost of the actual conversion process and now a water shortage where acres of land have been forced to be left empty, the waste supply has diminished considerably to boot. I believe the entire project is currently sort of in limbo.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 14:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
On a trip from Austin to Santa Fe through Lubbock and Clovis I drove through some rural areas. I noticed that one tank of gas provided an increase in fuel economy of about a 10% MPG increase. It also seemed that my 2011 Ford Ranger with the V-6 had better performance too. On the return trip I noticed at one of the service stations that there was no decal or sticker saying the gasoline included 'up to 10% ethanol' as is posted on pumps in more populated areas. This is the first time I experienced using gasoline without ethanol. Seems the increased mileage and performance with the non-ethanol fuel makes up for whatever pollution the ethanol laced gas is trying to prevent.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/6 14:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most souces cite the decrease in gasoline mileage with E10 at 7%.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, 7%, on average, is still a nice gain in mileage. The MPG I experienced on that section of the trip was the best ever with that Ranger. Earlier, a poster here commented on a Stabil product called Marine Stabil which is supposed to reduce the effects of ethanol in gasoline. I don't know the details. Unlike their other product which is a fuel stabilizer the marine product must be added each time the tank is filled. I might give it a try.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/6 17:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
There's less energy in a unit of ethanol compared to a unit gasoline, no additive can change that!
In Brazil most of the cars run on straight ethanol made out of sugar cane. We can import their ethanol for $0.50 but the government makes it impossible by putting high tariffs on it.
Sugar cane is a mucu better product to make ethanol out of cause it costs a lot less to grow, but ethanol plants in the US are not equipped to handle it.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 18:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I sent an email to Senator Baucus, our senior senator from MT, about the pending legislation, and got a reply today.

"March 13, 2013

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting me about the amount of ethanol in gasoline. It is good to hear from you.

I understand your concerns about the impact that ethanol in gasoline has on vehicle engines. You raise important points which I will take into careful consideration. In Montana, we rely on our transportation for our livelihood and our independence. As you may know, Senator Wicker recently introduced S. 344, which would prohibit the Environmental Protection Agency from approving gasoline with higher than 10 volume percent ethanol. S. 344 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. As a senior member of this Committee, please rest assured I will keep your comments firmly in mind as I review this legislation.

Again, thank you for getting in touch and sharing your thoughts with me. Please contact me with any additional comments or concerns. I also encourage you to visit my website athttp://www.baucus.senate.gov for more information on issues at home in Montana and across the nation.

Sincerely,
Max Baucus"

Everyone might want to email him as well, since he is a senior member of the committee.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 12:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
For those who want to know a little more about the cellulose vs corn ethanol

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/e-newsletters/drovers-daily/Can-cellulose-compete-197867741.html

Posted on: 2013/3/14 9:40

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The whole ethanol in gas is such a pain especially if the gas sits for a while! Ethanol will separate out of the gas and ethanol attracts water!

What is everybody running in their Packards? E10 or straight gasoline?

Posted on: 2013/3/21 7:33

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved