Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 246

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Still have fuel problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have been fighting fuel supply problems for a couple of months on my 54 Clipper. I have the tank redone and installed it with new fuel lines. I had problems with the engine stalling or running out of gas while idling. I changed fuel filters and still the same problem. I have the tank redone and installed it. I had the fuel pump rebuilt a Gould and installed. Still I don't get enough flow(the filter has fuel going into it , very little. I cleaned the screen in the carb, but it had no residue in it. I filled the tank so the level would be higher than the pick up tube and still not enough fuel. I even put the fuel line to the drain line on the tank and not enough fuel through the filter.
I took the fuel line off after the fuel pump and put the hose into a jug and cranked the engine, the pump put several ounces of fuel into the jug in 5 to 10 seconds.

So I thought what is happening between the fuel pump and the filter and carb. If it is not the filter what in the carb would restrict the flow?

Posted on: 2013/3/12 11:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Still have fuel problems
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Misadjusted float?

I believe there is a test in the service manual for measuring the expected fuel output of the pump.

Also try taking the element out of the filter and see if the problem goes away. Those ceramic elements may look clean, but the pores can actually be clogged and prevent fuel flow.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 12:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've had years of complete satisfaction with Gould pump rebuilds and your pump delivery rate sounds reasonable, I forget the typical specs but I'd expect about 1/2 pint or so in 30 seconds. Looking elsewhere other that what's been suggested, many carburetors, especially Carters of this era, have a small brass filter screen at the fuel inlet - have you checked for that? On most models it's located onthe top of the float chamber just above the fuel inlet fitting and is accessed via a threaded brass hex-head retainer cap. After that I'd probably be going inside the carburetor.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I don't know much about Carter carbs, but can the bowl vent get clogged? I had a similar problem with a Stromberg, and it turned out the bowl vent had gasket glue in it.

Just a thought.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:22
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
can the bowl vent get clogged?

Certainly a possibility, though somewhat remote. If I recall the carb internals correctly a clogged vent would cause the fuel bowl to vent thru the main jets while the bowl filled which would be very ineffective. Simple enough to check and worth the time if for no other reason than to eliminate it as the culprit.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Could this "new" gas be doing something to the rubber or seals, and blocking the flow?

Posted on: 2013/3/15 13:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
one thing you mite try is take the line going into the fuel pump and run a hose into a jerry can and see what happens, i have heard of when the seal the gas tanks , the the pickup tube gets also covered in sealent causing problems. Also try blowing the line out too and see if its got any crap in it too.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 13:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This from post #1: I took the fuel line off after the fuel pump and put the hose into a jug and cranked the engine, the pump put several ounces of fuel into the jug in 5 to 10 seconds.
I don't recall the typical pumping rate spec but that seemed quite adequate.

So based on that I'd rather doubt any problems from the pump back to the tank. Based on what the owner has reported it seems the problem is at the carburetor.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I think after battling this for a couple of months that the problem is as you say, in the carb. I didn't want it to be that result, as I didn't want to get into the carb. I have cleaned the screen going into the unit, but the next step is the floats. Then if needed a rebuild.
Thanks to everyone who commented, it is great to have so many people with great experience offering suggestions. I will send the final results as soon as I get into the carb.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Did the supply issue happen before or after the tank re-do? If after, and the tank was lined it is possible that the line out may be partially plugged with the material that the guy used to line the tank. Just my

Posted on: 2013/3/15 20:26
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved