Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: A relaxing Day Driving a Packard in Southeastern Arizona
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PatGreen Quote:
I find it fascinating that you tour alone and find it so fulfilling. I like to go with an old friend or two that appreciate the ride. That way there is someone else to walk in the event of trouble...

You go by yourself if you have a super reliable vehicle...
just like Kevin's restored 55 400. I go by myself most of the time too. Then you get to stop and have long talks with admirers without your passenger saying "we gotta get back..."

Craig

Posted on: 2014/3/17 20:11
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
With cooler temperatures today in Tucson, I took the 400 out for morning cruise to Patagonia AZ. I had also hoped to locate my favorite hummingbird (violet crowned) at the Paton Preserve today, but it is still a bit too early in the season unfortunately. Violet crowned's are localized summer residents in SE Arizona.

The Packard did well as usual and I often pinch myself when driving her to make sure I'm not dreaming. She performs so well on the open road and I don't know quite how it happened, but at a couple locales today on AZ HWY 83 my speed was reading 70+.

A very nice 140 mile round trip daytime cruise.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.96 KB)
20_535c283caeb4a.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (125.58 KB)
20_535c284d1744f.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (97.13 KB)
20_535c28618ee51.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/4/26 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, beautiful country. You are fortunate to enjoy it in your Packard, and we are fortunate that you share your drives with us. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/4/27 11:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
You take such great pictures! I love these posts...

Posted on: 2014/4/27 11:15
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Kevin, beautiful country. You are fortunate to enjoy it in your Packard, and we are fortunate that you share your drives with us. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Ditto and I sometimes miss New Mexico for that same reason. There is just something about the desert scenery seen as a whole that defies description.

But then I remember the 110 degree days and many long distances going thru the middle of nowhere to get from point to point. The only AC available was the old 6 at 60 method or if really lucky, the cylindrical swamp cooler hanging off one window that frequently turned the car into a sauna. Those memories I don't miss as much.

I believe southern AZ is no slouch in the temp dept either so wish I had your fortitude to have elected not to run AC when you have that nice period correct unit sitting on your shelf.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 11:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Why don't we just call this the "rub it in" tread??
My V8 car search is still on...but if a job offer comes trough this week, I just may treat myself & pony up the big bucks?
Thanks for the inspiration :)

Posted on: 2014/4/27 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
64avanti, JW, 51Packard & HH56,

Thank you all for the kind words. I really do enjoy driving my Packard when possible. As I write, southern Arizona's 'enjoyment' window is quickly leaving us, as the big heat is just around the corner. And because of that heat, I tend not to drive the 400 once our temperatures hit the mid to upper nineties. Too much ethanol in the fuel composition sold here also. Yes, my 400 will hiccup (vapor lock) every so often when the triple digits arrive. I know we southern Arizonans like to call it a 'dry heat', but frankly, it is just plain hot.

Re: the a/c unit.......not enough leg room for me to install, but I do like having that 6 bladed fan cooling my radiator.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Re: the a/c unit.......not enough leg room for me to install, but I do like having that 6 bladed fan cooling my radiator.

I forgot about that. Didn't you also move the seat back an inch or two. Sounds like your car would be a good candidate for a trunk unit. That would be better than nothing & then you could drive it up to 100 degree days -- as long as you carried a good supply of clothes pins for the fuel line.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Beautiful car and beautiful pictures - I'm out in Arizona a lot (actually will be there Monday, leaving Thursday this week), but so far my travels are limited Phoenix mostly, with a drive back to Dallas, TX up through Flagstaff and across Interstate 40 (parts of Route 66, I found out later, which means I didn't get the chance to enjoy them as much) and the trip back down I-20 and I-10, just once, because of a silly rule so that I needed to bring the car back to my home county to get it registered and inspected.

But those were speed runs, mostly interested in getting to Dallas to get the car inspected and then back again in as little time as possible.

Beautiful countryside even from the Interstate though - would have been nice to have a casual tour in a car, like the Packard, that was built for sightseeing, vs just getting on the Interstate, setting the cruise at 80mph and watching the shoulder for cars that shouldn't be there.

Posted on: 2014/4/27 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Filler'up with Sky Chief please!

This locale in in midtown Tucson. The owner's have nicely restored the station's exterior and I thought I'd drive over in the cool of the morning and get some pictures for you all. The location is Schroeder's Auto Service on North Campbell Avenue.

Enjoy.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.48 KB)
20_5378cfbed452b.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (122.14 KB)
20_5378cfe8e5234.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (93.71 KB)
20_5378cffaefefd.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (81.00 KB)
20_5378d009a48e5.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (93.27 KB)
20_5378d01f2d296.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (126.82 KB)
20_5378d0375c5ed.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (128.45 KB)
20_5378d054defe6.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (82.19 KB)
20_5378d07eece08.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/5/18 10:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved