Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Axle Drive Shaft Oil Seal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
Got an oil leak at the rear axle where drive shaft enters. The car is a 53 400 W/Ultramatic. Is changing the oil seal a relatively easy job on this car, or should I farm this out? The shop manuel calls for some kind or puller to remove the U-Joint Flange is this necessary or will it pull out with a little force?

Posted on: 2013/3/17 8:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Axle Drive Shaft Oil Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Phil, what you describe is a leaking pinion shaft oil seal. It is not a hard job, but it does have some complications.

First, you may be able to remove the driveshaft flange without a puller. If not, they are relatively inexpensive and will make the job go that much easier.

The complicating factor in this job is to get the nut EXACTLY back to its original position. This involves marking the nut and the shaft and CAREFULLY counting the number of turns it takes to unscrew the nut. It should be reinstalled counting EXACTLY the same number of turns.

Also, you may want to make sure the driveshaft flange does not have a groove worn in it by the seal lip. If so, you can purchase a precision made sleeve to go over the sealing surface to restore it. Redi Sleeve is one of the brand names used. I believe they are made by Thompson Products and one other manufacturer.

Now would be a good time to change the differential oil too. GL5 EP 85W-140 gear oil is used my many here and found to work well.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/17 15:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Axle Drive Shaft Oil Seal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
JW - I'll give it a try this week. Thanks for the tip on marking the nut and shaft and counting the the turns.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 21:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved