Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Rochester 4GC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Hello felow Packard Owners-i have some information to share with you and other owners of 1950's era cars. If you have pulled out your hair with the Rochester 4GC carb because of pinholes in the floats and been told by NUMEROUS carb repair and parts places that new replacements simply do not exist (as I have been told countless times). Guess what there is a place that has them (brand new not repaired) Daytona Parts can be reached at (386)-427-7108 and thier email is mail@daytonaparts.com

Attach file:

jpg  (23.01 KB)
3005_514d3e2de32d1.jpg 352X355 px

Posted on: 2013/3/23 0:38
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Rochester 4GC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thanks, Mike, very good to know.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 4:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
You know who told me-Bob Stoltzfus in Marietta Pa-nice guy and VERY knowledgeable.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 7:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Daytona parts is maybe the best carburetor shop in the US. They are definitely the most expensive. Good work costs, but if one wants the right parts and/or a carburetor as good as new, they're the go-to guys.

Daytona Parts Company

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/3/23 10:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Over the last week, I worked with my local friend Lance on dipping and overhauling the 4GC off of his 1955 Clipper Constellation. He bought a generic Echelin overhaul carb kit from NAPA (number is in the site Xref now). It worked fine. The only significant problem we had was that I made the assumption that all the settings, in particular the float settings, were correct because Lance's father told me that the engine was running when he parked it in Lance's garage 11 years ago. BAD ASSUMPTION!

We tested the completed overhaul by swapping it onto my 55 Pat which of course is a known, working car. First try, it wouldn't start because the floats were so off that no fuel was getting into the fuel bowl despite the Pat having both an electric and a mechanical pump. Then I changed the float settings to those spec'd in the service manual, but I also used the old needle/seats (BAD IDEA) instead of the new needle/seats. This caused the carb to flood the engine. That was yesterday and we quit for the day at that point.

This morning, we took Lance's carb off the Pat engine and reinstalled the new needle/seats and slightly adjusted the floats to prevent flooding. SUCCESS! It started right up and a test drive proved flawless operation.

Lance is happy and he now has a known carb to put on his Constellation, which still hasn't run in 11 years (YET).

Craig

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Napa carb kit,

here in san diego, I have to order it, from phoenix Az,,shipping 7 bucks,,

total will be about 40 bucks..

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:21
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You cannot beat Daytona's kits for either quality or price.
I used their kits on the Caribbean and the Patrician. I live in western Pa. so shipping is about the same.
Why go anywhere else?

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I was just in garage,

turns out I bought that 2-5610 back in 1997, local napa store, 21 dollars,

its the same kit, I only used gaskets from it, but that acc pump looks to small, but , craig used it and it works,

Packard had the leather one, guess it swells ,,

randy will check out Daytona, thanks,

Posted on: 2013/4/7 15:06
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I don't mean to steal Lance's thunder, but since he hasn't start his blog yet, I feel free to tell everyone that Lance's 1955 Constellation now starts and runs! The exhaust is full of holes and noisy, but the engine itself is noiseless and smooth. He even backed it out of the garage and then back into the garage. The brakes (BTV) don't work, but we'll chase that later.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/4/7 16:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved