Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 175

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiper motor play project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As some may know when a PI or Olds oil pump mod is installed the wiper's secondary vacuum source goes away. When I installed my PI pump some many years ago a Chevy electric wiper motor was also installed.

I finally decided since the Chevy motor shown in the first photo is big and heavy it had to go. It was also hard to turn on because of the angle on the bowden cable.

The easily available Newport motor is small & compact compared to the Chevy so decided to give one a try. As others who have installed that motor know, a limiting factor is none of the Packard original control switch or washer setup will work with the motor as delivered. Not wanting to modify anything on the Packard dash and still wanting to keep the washer coordinator, decided I needed another project.

Built a self contained slide switch assy that would attach to the Newport and still keep all the original Packard controls. Originally it was to be mounted high like the Packard original version. Decided that was unwieldy so located it under the motor assy instead. Nothing at all changes in the Packard except the wiper motor. Nothing changes on the Newport either except that the loom and switch they send is not used. The replacement plugs in it's place. The mounting bracket utilizes two of their cover screws for attachment. All Newport standard functions remain the same -- Park, Low and High speeds plus the washer coordinator also starts and stops the wipers. Haven't figured a way to utilize their optional delay switch though.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.40 KB)
209_514e2aefdf92e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.95 KB)
209_514e2b0993ab3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.52 KB)
209_514e2b1338f40.jpg 640X314 px

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiper motor play project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Nice

Posted on: 2013/3/23 23:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
What vintage Newport is used or is this an aftermarket motor.
I think the Chevy aftermarket motors are in the $250 range?

Posted on: 2014/5/27 22:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not quite $250 but close enough.http://www.newportwipers.com/products.php?year=1949+Late+-+1956&make_id=20

The rest of the conversion material for the washer co-ordinator was part new and part stuff I had.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 22:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Very neat - I like it.

Posted on: 2014/5/27 23:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved