Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Driveshaft Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'll be very interested to hear--the last old-style u-joint I saw for sale was that much, and you still had to do the job.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 4:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If conversion to the mechanics joint is chosen then be sure the u joint itself has a grease fitting in it.

The DEtroit joint (ball and trunion) is an excellent u-joint. But it has a weak spot, the rubber boot. My very low mileage and original/always garage kept and city driven by original owner 56 Exec had a tear in the boot when i bought the car 15 years ago. Replacing the boot requires complete disassembly of the joint which requires a very heavy machine shop type press. Or it did on mine. Or my 3 ton arbour press wouldn't do it (as pictured in the SM).

I like the Detroit joint, but that rubber boot is the weak spot for any road debris that mite tear it. I've seen at least 2 others over the years with tears on mid 60's Plymouths.

Quite often we here about modern day cars with front wheel drive that have torn rubber boots on the CV joints.

There is no such boots on the mechanics type joint and that is why they are often used on front axles of OFF ROAD 4wd vehicles. Off road vehicles are subject to alot of debris.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 7:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Packard showed how to replace the Detroit rubber boot without much trouble. I believe it is in one of the TSBs or SCs.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 11:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, I think you did it the hard way. Mr. Berger is on target, I've replaced a fair number of the rubber boots on the Detroit joints without complete disassembly or removing the pin. In fact the shop manual (Propellor shaft section) tells you NOT to remove the pin. You've got to stretch the rubber a bit here and there and poke it through - a little dish detergent or silicone spray makes it easier though not required.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2013/3/29 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Great tip. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 22:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dennis Franco
See User information
I ordered the shaft. I will give an update once I have it installed.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 8:17
Dennis
1953 Packard Cavalier Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi all. Just a follow up on this thread from a couple of years ago. I have just made modifications to my drive shaft for my 56 400 similar to the one proposed in this thread to replace the ball & trunnion at the front... I had a bad vibration... Thought I'd share a few photos. Great result with vibration completely gone...

Warren

Attach file:

jpg  (109.33 KB)
940_5628bdc3c3b9c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (116.52 KB)
940_5628bdf393f5d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/10/22 5:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is there a difference between the 200 series with Ultramatic and the 300/400 series?
John

Posted on: 2015/10/22 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The cars with 288 used a smaller u-joint.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 12:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved