Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

1948 Deluxe rear window
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
1948 Deluxe Touring Sedan - My right rear window is down about 1/2 inch. The handle just spins. So, I'm trying to get into the door to see what is wrong. I removed the screws from window frame. Still would not come off - So I removed the door lock knob -and accidently closed the door. Now the door is locked,does not have a key hole ,the locking rod must have fallen down inside. The window wont roll down and the door is locked. Help !

Posted on: 2013/3/30 17:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Deluxe rear window
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I meant to say - Left Rear Window

Posted on: 2013/3/30 17:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pushbutton rod should be attached at the lock pivot end. If the window frame is off, you should be able to get a piece of tie wire or coat hanger wire and fish down to find the rod to pull it back up where you can reach it. Maybe even a telescoping magnet or one mounted on end of flex rod.

If the frame is still on, same process but will be much more difficult since you will have to maneuver the wire in close quarters between the frame and window and then avoid having the rod want to go on the wrong side of window. A telescoping magnet MIGHT be able to be used in that situation thru the hole. Once the wire is up and if frame is on you will have to try and grasp with needlenose pliers or forceps thru the hole.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 17:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
The frame is not Off

Posted on: 2013/3/30 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I need to unlock the door some way

Posted on: 2013/3/30 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I have the panel part way off in front - I can see bottom of inside door - I dont see the pushbutton rod

Posted on: 2013/3/30 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Have you got an inspection camera available to you? Brand name - Rigid See Snake. Or another way to call it, a bore scope. You might be able to get it through the lock hole and look around to see where you can hook on to something to unlock the door. Just my but not for long since here in Canada the penny is soon to disappear.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 18:22
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think your best bet would be to get a telescoping magnet whose magnet will fit thru the hole and see if you can insert it thru the lock hole -- or if the frame is out thru that crack -- and feel around to find the rod. Harbor Freight and many parts stores should have something similar to these shown.

Unless something is really wrong with your car the rod is attached to the lock side pivot via a keeper so should still be attached and just flopped down. Once you can get it in position, should be able to grab with needlenose piers to release the lock.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.99 KB)
209_515777bf23364.jpg 947X313 px

jpg  (23.46 KB)
209_515777c744be9.jpg 875X266 px

Posted on: 2013/3/30 18:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I think what you are telling me is - the pushbutton rod cannot be accessed by reaching inside the door from the bottom. Can the door be unlocked by reaching inside ? or only by the pushbutton rod ?

Posted on: 2013/3/30 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The latch is high so don't think you can reach it unless the door panel is totally off--even then it would be fairly hard unless the door was open. The dropped rod itself I believe is on a pivot mechanism in the front with another rod going to the latch. Here is a photo from the parts book of a 23rd series which I THINK would be like yours.

Unlike the fronts, the rear latch is an early version of child proof. I don't know of any way it can be opened except by pulling the rod up so it releases the blocking mechanism.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.43 KB)
209_5157804fdab31.jpg 718X628 px

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved