Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Whitewall Tire Opinion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Just wanted a few opinions on the look of my car with the 1.6" whitewalls mounted on a set of original Packard wheels. The car would have come from the factory with slightly smaller diameter bias ply tires and 2.5" wide whitewalls but since these 1.6" were on it when I bought it and they have virtually no obvious wear I could not see spending $239 each for new ones.

I also picked up my radiator from the shop today and it's ready to go except for filling a few small dings and painting. The Radiator shop removed the top tank, rodded out and cleaned the core, straigtened the tank dents and then reinstalled it plus resoldered the bottom tank to the frame all for $85.00 which is like about what I paid in 1970's. They also resoldered the area around the drain cock and the neck and re-attached the overflow tube. The workmanship looks as good as what the factory would have done.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 20:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Whitewall Tire Opinion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Well, I can't get the photo to post, only the link.

Attach file:

jpg  (178.76 KB)
4000_515e39019879f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
There it is...

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
You could always have someone grind down your current side walls, which will usually about double the width of the white showing. It's something the rat rod crowd does all the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWTa2tAYIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwevOfIUqA&feature=fvwp

I was in the same situation, with a good set of modern, thin white wall tires. I had it done to my Packard and they look pretty good. From about 8 feet you can't even tell. My friend actually has a machine in his shop made just for grinding white walls, so it was alot easier to do than using a angle grinder.

This will hold me over until I replace them in a couple of years with something like this:

Coker Classic 4 7/16" wide whites

http://www.cokertire.com/lowrider/h78-15-coker-classic-3-whitewall-tire-3290.html

Posted on: 2013/4/4 22:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I would say your car looks great! And I would rotate those tires to get the most wear out of them.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 23:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks Randy and for sure on the rotations. That's one reason why I buy my modern car tires at Discount Tire because of their balance and rotation program. I'll most likely try to rotate them myself on the Packard unless I remove the wheel covers before I take it in.

Mtpackard, those are some nice looking Cokers for sure and just about 90% of the sidewall is white! I would be a little leery of grinding down my sidewalls for fear of weakening them. The whitewalls on my tires are molded into the rubber and are raised about 1/16" above the rest of the sidewall therefore it would take a lot of grinding to level it all out.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 6:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
If you paint the radiator, be sure to use a radiator paint. It is much thinner than the normal rattle can paint and doesn't restrict heat transfer. I don't know how much this affects the operation, but it is what the radiator shops use.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 8:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gator, I hadn't taken notice before, but that's a very nice and attractive Packard with colors very much to my liking. Yeah, the whitewalls look a little out of place. Were it mine I'd probably flip the tires, blackwall side out, and get some life from them until it was time to re-tire.

Dave Grubbs make an important point about radiator paint, Eastwood has the low-solids black radiator paint if you can't find it elsewhere.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I guess it's just me, but I kind of like the narrower white wall. Looks sportier to me.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 12:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved