Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 236

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Whitewall Tire Opinion
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have the skinny whitewall radials on my 51. As soon as I get thru with the color sanding and the chrome is put back on, I'm mounting the tires on the correct, newly painted wheels with the blackwall side out. I remember that many of the 200's came with black rather than whitewalls. That's what makes this fun hobby.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I like your car a lot, Gator, the colors work really well and I always appreciated the body style. +1.

You could turn ?m inside out, but please! Paint the stripe first, I always am bothered when I see the white wall on the inside for some reason. IDK if it's just a violation of the rules, or its unnatural or what...

Also, and I don't know exactly where I saw this..JC Whitney?...but there used to be white wall..um?...side walls that you could buy and stick on the side wall. You might try hunting them down, they might be a very inexpensive and effective way of trying to get what you want here.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:23
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Gator, I hadn't taken notice before, but that's a very nice and attractive Packard with colors very much to my liking. Yeah, the whitewalls look a little out of place. Were it mine I'd probably flip the tires, blackwall side out, and get some life from them until it was time to re-tire.

Dave Grubbs make an important point about radiator paint, Eastwood has the low-solids black radiator paint if you can't find it elsewhere.

Thanks for the compliment Dave. Well I guess I'm thinking that I don't plan on entering the car in any concourse events but sure hope to log several thousand miles of enjoyment regardless of what she's rolling on. At any rate, I kind of wonder just how many folks that see the car are going to pay all that much attention to the width of the whitewalls anyway. Yes, I'm familiar with radiator paint and in my case, the only thing I have to repaint is the upper tank and will use a black satin finish on it. I didn't know until I was doing some prep work on it today that there is a tag on it stating that it was made by Borg Warner. I never knew they made radiators.

Quote:

51Packard wrote:
I guess it's just me, but I kind of like the narrower white wall. Looks sportier to me.

Thanks Charles, I was kind of hoping I could get one or two and I must admit that I feel the same way. They kind of add something that says smooth and comfortable cruisin'.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 23:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gator, you didn't mention if the rubber washers and shoulder bolts were still on your Clipper to fasten the radiator to the frame. Usually, by this time they have been removed and not replaced. Packard used a rubber bushing system to cushion the radiator from vibration.

At the suggestion of Big Kev, I made a mounting kit to mount my radiator in my 55 Clipper from some toilet tank rubber washers and spacer bushings from tubing. It is described on my project blog on adventures with a 1955 Clipper on this site. Take a look it is an easy job.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/8 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Gator, you didn't mention if the rubber washers and shoulder bolts were still on your Clipper to fasten the radiator to the frame. Usually, by this time they have been removed and not replaced. Packard used a rubber bushing system to cushion the radiator from vibration.

At the suggestion of Big Kev, I made a mounting kit to mount my radiator in my 55 Clipper from some toilet tank rubber washers and spacer bushings from tubing. It is described on my project blog on adventures with a 1955 Clipper on this site. Take a look it is an easy job.

(o{}o)

Very good point JW and that's a fine blog you have put togather there as well. The toilet washers are a great alternative and as it stands right now, the rubber insulators and bushings were in place on my car but were not only installed incorrectly but the rubber had hardened and was severely cracked. I'm making new ones out of some old fire fighting hose that I have "in stock". The fire hose has an additional layer of fabric wrapping bonded to the rubber that will in my opinion help the rubber hold it's shape better when the bolts are tightened but the main reason is that I already have the hose and can "stamp" them out with gasket cutters fairly quickly.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gator, you do not want to tighten the bolts unless you have the original shoulder bolts or make some sleeves that will prevent the bushings from being crushed and therefore defeat the flex they should provide. Make sure your fire hose rubber is not too thick too.

My radiator has some flex movement to it with the sleeves and bolts I used.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/8 22:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Gator, you do not want to tighten the bolts unless you have the original shoulder bolts or make some sleeves that will prevent the bushings from being crushed and therefore defeat the flex they should provide. Make sure your fire hose rubber is not too thick too.

My radiator has some flex movement to it with the sleeves and bolts I used.

(o{}o)

According to the parts list, 24th, 25th, 26th and 54th series cars did not use shoulder bolts to mount the radiator but instead used the seperate steel sleeves or bushings similar to what you fabricated from steel tubing JW. All 4 rubbers and steel bushings were on my car but were not "sandwiched" between the radiator frame and header as they should have been to allow for vibration and flexing. I will be correcting that when I re-install the radiator.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 18:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
433816 is 5/32 thick.
433817 is the thicker one.
If you have the original steel sleeves, the thicker one is the length of the sleeve minus 5/32, minus the thickness of the radiator support. Maybe add 1/32 just for cushioning. I would think the thicker one would be between the core assembly and the cradle assembly.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 1:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I myself, don't care for skinny whites on a Packard. I think they look too "sixties." I agree with David's plan to flip them BSW out.

Dave is right on about the color combination!

Posted on: 2013/4/10 9:50
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
433816 is 5/32 thick.
433817 is the thicker one.
If you have the original steel sleeves, the thicker one is the length of the sleeve minus 5/32, minus the thickness of the radiator support. Maybe add 1/32 just for cushioning. I would think the thicker one would be between the core assembly and the cradle assembly.

I would have thought the same thing Randy but the two center bolts are solid mounted and do not require insulators. This being the case, I would think that the top and bottom holes were enlarged to allow the insulators and sleeves to accomodate twisting of the core
at the 4 corners and possibly tank expansion and contraction...or not.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved