Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 197

Duane Gunn, humanpotatohybrid, Don B, packard1949, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

stainless steel trim on a 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'm putting the stainless steel trim back on my 51 200. The holes in the fender are larger than the ones on the door. Should these be installed with bolts and zimmerman nuts, or can you use a spring type clip like on the doors? The problem I'm having is finding the right size clip. The ones that work fine on the door with the smaller holes don't fit tight enough on the fender holes. Any suggestions on vendors?

Second question, should the panel supporting the hood latch, just in front of the radiator have the speed nuts under them? I'm not sure if my car is missing them or I've got the wrong bolts.

http://www.autofastco.net/catalog/item/7776466/8323155.htm

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:58
 Top  Print   

Re: stainless steel trim on a 51
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most of the fender location moldings I've seen are held by the clip type with studs. A rubber washer is usually first over the hole followed by a flat & lockwasher if a regular nut or else a rubber washer and one of the stamped thin type nuts with a wide body flange. On the postwars, most any place that is easily reached from behind used mostly studs with an occasional spring type thrown in. Spring clips were usually in places like doors or harder to access areas where panels had to be removed. Later cars maybe 53-4 on seemed to gravitate to the spring type in more locations but still used several studs.

That speednut type you linked is used for the radiator splasher on the grill, the flange on the fenders and metal bar across the top of radiator where the splasher bolts. I'm not sure that's the right size though. Are your bolts #14 or are they 5/16? Without looking them up, I don't remember if the bolts are the same on 51 and on V8s. There has been some discussions on the 55-6 radiator splasher bolts about finding the correct larger bolts and speednuts. You might be able to find the discussions and recommendations. If you do order some, the distance between the hole and closed end of the speednut as well as the thickness of panel accommodated by the nut are some more variables.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 19:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Interesting. None of the trim had rubber washers on the fasteners. I'll see if I can find some at Ace, or make some out of inner tubes with the hole punch. The example of the speed nut was the first one I found on the website. I'll probably drive the car down to the local fastener store and make sure that the throat length is correct and match the bolts to that. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/4/5 20:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts show 10 seals for the front fender pieces so 5 per side on the long ones. Didn't check the amount on any others. In the trunk they are important for water and dust but probably not so much on the front -- mostly to prevent rattling and squeaking..

If you use only the old spring clips on the doors would be good idea to check how tight the trim is or if you can slide it. They might have lost some strength over the years. The stud type holds tighter and doors sometimes had at least one per piece as a clamp to keep the trim from moving forward or back when the door slams.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If there is a square/diamond shape hole, that uses a push in spring clip. If the hole is round, that takes a nut style clip.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 15:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved