Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 47 steering column
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Possibly. It could be installed by dealers and they had a lot of latitude. My 47 Custom was over in the general area 56executive shows in his photo although I think mine was to the left of the trip odometer.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 21:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Found this photo in my collection and was starting to think there was no standard install on these vacuum antennas. Maybe due to a lack of documentation they are installed during restorations to a "anyway it works" standard. Don't remember whose car or where photo came from but think it was an ebay car??

It appears to have a still different arrangement. 47's it looks like. Can't tell where the vacuum is coming from or entering into the dash area on this car but I think the wiper Bowden cable is using the wrong grommet.

Thanks to some recent good photos from BDeB and 56executive, believe we now have a definitive answer to how the 22-23 series should be done. This one doesn't appear to follow the factory method.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.32 KB)
209_51807f0d3023a.jpg 1072X721 px

Posted on: 2013/4/30 21:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
My car has 4 hoses coming out of the firewall. The vacuum part of the fuel pump is suppose to run the wipers - yes? The antenna would run off of engine vacuum. So one hose in to the valve, and two out to the antenna. Any ideas as to why the forth hose? The cable for the antenna goes through the firewall on the side of the car near the fender mount. It's going to be a while until I'm able to post pictures of the antenna. I am taking my time in getting it apart. DOn't want to mess anything up. I have a few ideas as to what to do with it once I get it apart, it's just getting it apart. So much corrosion. Nasy aluminum. Going to try the home brew mix of ATF and acetone that I saw on the site in another topic, as a penetrant to get it apart.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 23:56
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Another variation just when I thought we had a definitive answer. I would think the 4 hoses thru the grommet should be actually 3 hoses and a very thick antenna lead in wire that is almost as large as the hose. That way the antenna option is all in one place. The only reason I could think of for a 4th hose is if the car had the optional windshield washer. I would have thought that option would have gone in the separate hole.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I though that if you had the washer, that the vacuum would tap off the other side of the other side of the wiper motor and to operate it you turned the wiper knob backwards. Have I mis-read something?

Posted on: 2013/5/1 17:18
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

DeluxCanuck wrote:
I though that if you had the washer, that the vacuum would tap off the other side of the other side of the wiper motor and to operate it you turned the wiper knob backwards. Have I mis-read something?

No, you have it right on the vacuum side for 48-mid54. The other hose would be for the water. Generally it is routed inside the car and exits via nozzles that get connected under the dash.

The 47 and earlier gets more involved. Depending on wiper type and if other vacuum accessories were installed, there could be an additional two or three hoses for the washer between engine and underdash. Mid 54-6 generally would have electric plus the water.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 18:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved