Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 - 23rd series trunk lock question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Does anyone know how to remove the lock cylinder(key portion)from the trunk lock? My locksmith has been unable to get it out to sevice it for me. Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 8:12
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 - 23rd series trunk lock question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
The lock cylinder on my 1950 2395 trunk pulls out from the lock body when the key is extracted, except in the locked position.
I will pull it out and look this morning when I get to the shop and see if I can determine how it is supposed to secure to the cylinder.
I will get back to you this evening.
Rustjunkey

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
If you have the key the cylinder can be turned from the locked to the unlocked position. A small wire can then be inserted through the small slot in the side of the lock cylinder to push on a spring loaded pin in the lock case. The cylinder can then be turned a little farther in the unlock direction to remove it from the case.

Your locksmith should be able to pick the lock and get the cylinder to turn if there is no key.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks BDeb. I will call and let him know. I am trying to get it so the trunk and glove box locks match as I had no keys at for them.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 14:44

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good idea as Packard had one key for the ignition and door locks and the other key for the glove box and trunk. This way a customer could leave the car for service or whatever and secure the items in the glove box and trunk by locking them and taking the key.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
BDeB is absolutly correct. I checked mine this am and It is just like a GM or most ignition switches. Where you turn the lock with the key to the Locked position and push a large paper clip into the hole on the lock face while turning the key farther. I tried to remove mine which used to come out with the key in the unlocked position but no luck. Now it stays in in the unlocked position. Self healing Packard Ju-ju.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
The locksmith could not get the cylinder apart, and not wanting to damage it, he mapped the cylinder and cut a key. So, i go and install the lock and it turns out the shaft is too short and doesn't engage in the lock mechanism.
Yea! To the drawing board. I ended up taking a piece of 3/8" key stock drilling a hole down the centre to fit the shaft on the lock. Drilled and tapped for 4 set screws to clamp the shaft, and then used a milling machine to mill the key stock down the the size to fit the hole in the lock. Fiddle with the fit until it went in smooth and turn the lock. Thanks to all who made suggestions. I can now lock my trunk. Yea!

Posted on: 2013/5/4 16:03

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved