Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

senior in 54
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
I read that 53 Caribbean was cavalier class and in 54 was elevated to senior.

please clarify

wondering

Ken

Posted on: 2013/5/1 15:47
 Top  Print   

Re: senior in 54
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Yes, in 1953 the Caribbean was on the "250" convertible chassis. 327, 5 main bearing engine. 122 inch wheelbase.

In 1954 it rode on the same 122" wheelbase but received the 359 cubic inch 9 main bearing engine from the senior line.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 16:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jack Lindholme
See User information
Yes indeed! And when I bought my 53 Caribbean in 1957,at the bright young age of 21, the salesman told me it had the Patrician engine with the nine main bearings. I believed that all the time I owned the car. But it wouldn't have made any difference, I would have bought it anyway.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe that most of us consider the '53 Caribbeans as senior cars even though they were based on the 250. The standard '53 convertibles and hardtops are another question.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/1 22:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
wanted to change rubber gaskets on tail lights was told by seller he only had junior and mine was a senior. any direction on new rubber for tail lights?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 6:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
In the Catalog of American Cars (I think), in 1953 Packard listed the 200 line as Clippers (junior), the 300 (senior)was renamed Cavalier, and the former 250 line became a "sporty subset" of the Cavalier. Strange since they kept the oval glass tailights of the junior line. Also in the subset was the Carribean. It obviously had the senior double tailights, tailfins etc. but was still based on the regular convertable which was a retrimmed old 250 (122") wheelbase junior.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:03
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, the '53 Caribbeans were fitted with the senior (Cavalier and Patrician) rear quarters. The '54s were fitted with the junior (Clipper) rear quarters. Then a special tail light was fitted as an add-on that resembled the senior lights. There are a lot of detail difference between the two years. For instance, the filler panel between the body and rear bumper is a straight metal piece on the '53s and a more attractive contoured fiber glass panel on the '54s. I prefer the look of the '53s because of their full rear wheel openings.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved