Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Bob J, Test User, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 formal stashed in tank for 44 years, now restored
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Graham Kozak
See User information
One of the cool things about my job is that I deal with cool stories all day. This one came across my desk earlier this week and I just got it posted today. Did a quick search and nothing turned up on the forum, but forgive me if this is old news to you:

Basically, Ohio resident Jerry Brummett bought a 1940 Super 8 formal sedan back in the sixties and used it to haul his racing motorcycles(!). Not being able to afford a restoration, he stashed it in a giant gasoline holding tank on his property...and left it there for 44 years.

Recently, he dragged it out for restoration. Storage didn't keep it pristine, unfortunately, but it's back on the road with the help of a parts car.

One of the cool things is that this car was once owned by an heir to the Champion Spark Plug fortune, and the house seen in the background of the post-restoration photos is the Stranahan family manor -- the Packard's original home.

The car is rare, but it isn't super valuable -- if Brummett decided to sell it, he likely wouldn't make the restoration costs back. But that's not really why we do what we do, right?

Anyway, full story and a gallery can be found here. All photos are courtesy of John Beddoes. He mentioned that Jerry might be bringing the car up to Pontiac for the meet this year, so you'll have to keep an eye out for it if you go.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.29 KB)
3917_5183db05c43cb.jpg 630X378 px

jpg  (49.28 KB)
3917_5183db0ee73e5.jpg 630X378 px

jpg  (37.31 KB)
3917_5183db1569d39.jpg 630X378 px

jpg  (46.83 KB)
3917_5183db1b36db2.jpg 630X378 px

Posted on: 2013/5/3 10:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8 formal stashed in tank for 44 years, now restored
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Man! What Packard owners will do to preserve their beloved cars! There's a man that risked blowing himself up torching doors in a gasoline tank just so his formal sedan would be out of the weather! That'interesting Graham and I've personally never read the story before...thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
That is very cool, we didn't even have to wait years to see the finished car.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 5:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Graham Kozak
See User information
Yep, looks like he waited until he knew he could make the restoration happen and then blitzed it. That's one way to approach things, and perhaps one that requires less patience -- except for the patience needed to wait four decades to start working in the first place.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 10:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved