Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rear leaf Spring bushing lube?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't recall doing anything to the leaf springs.

On the cars with Bijur, the leaf springs are wrapped with canvas under the terne-plate spring gaiters - they get oiled via runoff from the Bijur at the spring shackles. On the later springs with the antimony alloy sliding buttons, they are not supposed to be lubricated. Years back when I was a grease monkey, for simple plain leaf spring that were noisy, we had a clamping device that clamped across the spring and spread the leaves with a wedge that also had an Alemite fitting to inject grease between the leaves. Used mostly on construction equipment that lives in dirt and dust. And as I think on it now, they were probably best left alone as the grease probably just served as a trap to attract and retain the abrasive dirt.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
From the 'Spring Guru' of Eaton Springs:

"Normally harris bushings, the 2 piece rubber kind, do not require any lubrication. But I like to put just a bit of Never Sieze on them. - Mike"

Direct from the horses mouth

Posted on: 2013/5/8 8:54
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rustjunkey
See User information
I have used brake fluid for decades to rejuvenate rubber and vinyl pieces. The alcohol softens while the Glycerin rehydrates. Used it on GM and other dash pads, tire sidewalls (heals/covers small ozone cracking), door panels, etc. The secret is restraint! Puting on only as much as can be absorbed within 4 hours and removing the excess with a clean cloth. Using repeat applications sparingly several days apart. Less, longer, and cleaner is better.
I also was raised with RuGlyde! We doused down any rubber bushing, dust cover, body mount, brake hose, snubbers, etc. with every lube job. We also used it as a tire mounting lubricant.
The Rain has stopped!!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 20:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved