Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Window cable questions.
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
This is for my friend Tony, who is unable to log on for some reason.

Yesterday we took our cars to a funeral for one of our nicest members. On the way home, the driver's side wiper cable on his 56 snapped. As we understand it, the cable is "permanently" attached to the wiper drive shaft.

If anyone has been through this and can offer useful advice, he would be grateful.

It looks like a complete beast to me....

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:38
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Window cable questions.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cable is permanently attached to the outside part that the wiper blade fits on. To change it requires a complete new assy on the broken side and is a royal pain. I don't think there is enough slack for an overlapping repair but depending on where the break is, possibly releasing the tension would allow a metal sleeve like an electrical butt connector to be crimped on. They make splice sleeves for regular wire ropes but don't think those are available in sizes less than 1/8. Keeping the wire end to end with the sleeve in the middle might work. The wiper arm can be moved a notch or two on the post to allow for the slight change in wire length. The crimp would have to be very tight but once tension is put back, it's hard to say if the sleeve would hold long term.

The repair/replacement instructions are in the instrument section of service manual and it takes a real contortionist to do it on the drivers side. Best suggestion is observe, mark and use whatever means necessary to keep track of where the cables route and which groove and side they end in on the center pulley. By all means disconnect the battery when doing any work on the drivers side with a metal cable flopping around.

If it is changed, depending on the condition of the car, the rubber gasket under the assy may be rock hard and generally in poor condition when the old unit is removed. A new gasket may be needed.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I have to say that I trhought this would generate more responses, particularly since it is such a nasty sounding job.....

Posted on: 2013/5/6 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As HH56 said, it's in the shop manual. If you're waiting for someone to come along and say it's any easy job, don't hold your breath.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
It is covered nicely. A royal pain in the butt job, no sugar coating it. I would not try a repair, just replace the unit.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Not holding my breath. Just seems like posts for the nasty stuff get more alternative solutions or tricks and tips.

Don't envy Tony on this one!

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved